Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: BeyondPod stops playing episode in middle, deletes it, and moves on to next episode

  1. #1

    BeyondPod stops playing episode in middle, deletes it, and moves on to next episode

    My wife and I have had this quite frequently with version 4. While playing an episode in a smartplay playlist, the episode will suddenly stop before it is finished and the next episode will start playing. The episode that stopped in the middle is deleted and must be redownloaded again.

    There is an icon that shows up on the episode that stopped in the middle: A down arrow with a circle progress bar indicating, I'm guessing, partially played. When I click on that icon it downloads the episode again and I can start the episode from the beginning.

    I am guessing there are others out there who have dealt with this and fixed it? Would love to hear from you.

    Thanks BeyondPod for all your work, I know app development can be difficult as I have released an app myself. Looking forward to more refinements in the new version

  2. #2
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    109
    Can you replicate this issue and then immediately provide us with an Android log from within BeyondPod?

    http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log

    Thanks
    Bill

  3. #3
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK, http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by josiahgarber View Post
    There is an icon that shows up on the episode that stopped in the middle: A down arrow with a circle progress bar indicating, I'm guessing, partially played. When I click on that icon it downloads the episode again and I can start the episode from the beginning.
    That icon shows that the episode was only ever partially downloaded, so the reason it stops playing is because it's got to the end of the bit it has downloaded.

    What we need to do is to determine why the download
    a) didn't complete, and
    b) didn't resume next time an update was done (assuming another update HAS been done since the original failure).

    Unfortunately, all the Android log is going to show us is that playback ended at the end of the file. What we need to catch is the download failing in the first place, and to establish why it didn't automatically resume at the next update. That, of course, is going to be trickier if you're using scheduled downloads, as you won't necessarily know that it's happened.

    What would probably be most helpful for now would be to tick Enable Logging in the Advanced Settings (Settings, Menu, Advanced Settings - it's second from the bottom). One of the side effects of this is to keep the last 10 update logs, rather than only the last one, so it will hopefully be easier to find the log that will show why the download failed, and also the log after that to show why it didn't try again.

    And keep an eye out for those partially downloaded episodes! And check the recent update logs as soon as you spot one.

    Julie

  4. #4
    I have also experienced this kind of problem a number of times with version 4. Just today I had this happen:
    * About 30 minutes into a 60 minute podcast. I have paused it for long enough to cause 30 second back skip (this feature always works for me).
    *In my car with wired audio from headphone to car stereo AUX input. If I pull the plug, BP is configured to pause play. But in this case the plug is still in the phone.
    * I return to BP and hit play.
    * I realize that I've forgotten to switch car radio from radio to AUX input.
    * I change input to AUX ...
    * And BP marks the podcast as completely played and skips to next item in my playlist!

    In another topic I should then discuss how it seems much more difficult to navigate back to this old podcast than it was in version 3.

  5. #5
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK, http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_glenn View Post
    I have also experienced this kind of problem a number of times with version 4. Just today I had this happen:
    * About 30 minutes into a 60 minute podcast. I have paused it for long enough to cause 30 second back skip (this feature always works for me).
    *In my car with wired audio from headphone to car stereo AUX input. If I pull the plug, BP is configured to pause play. But in this case the plug is still in the phone.
    * I return to BP and hit play.
    * I realize that I've forgotten to switch car radio from radio to AUX input.
    * I change input to AUX ...
    * And BP marks the podcast as completely played and skips to next item in my playlist!
    Please could you send us an Android log immediately after this happens next time, so that we can investigate what it happening in this case. I'm guessing that BP is receiving some sort of trigger to make that happen, but we'd need a log to see what that is, and whether it's something that BP is doing (and hopefully, why), or if it's something that BP can realistically ignore if your car stereo is sending something. See http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log

    In another topic I should then discuss how it seems much more difficult to navigate back to this old podcast than it was in version 3.
    You should be able to find it at the top of the feed drawer under What to Play (at the top of the Recently Played section).

    Julie

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Please could you send us an Android log immediately after this happens next time, so that we can investigate what it happening in this case. I'm guessing that BP is receiving some sort of trigger to make that happen, but we'd need a log to see what that is, and whether it's something that BP is doing (and hopefully, why), or if it's something that BP can realistically ignore if your car stereo is sending something. See http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.php/send-android-log

    You should be able to find it at the top of the feed drawer under What to Play (at the top of the Recently Played section).

    Julie

    Yep, the log appears to be not very long - the event happened about 4 hours ago, but the oldest event in the log is about 3 minutes ago.
    It can't be something the car stereo is doing, because my phone has no knowledge of it - no Bluetooth pairing and only a standard 3 conductor headphone jack. So here is the likely progression:
    1. Within the last second I restarted a paused program. It will therefore be expected to jump back 30 seconds.
    2. Within a second of restarting I realize that I'm not hearing my program and realize that my car stereo is playing a radio station.
    3. I push the source selector button to change to AUX.
    4. Phone detects something? This is a big unknown. Maybe there is no electrical change at the headphone jack.
    5. BP dumps the podcast and moves to next in playlist.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by josiahgarber View Post
    My wife and I have had this quite frequently with version 4. While playing an episode in a smartplay playlist, the episode will suddenly stop before it is finished and the next episode will start playing. The episode that stopped in the middle is deleted and must be redownloaded again.

    There is an icon that shows up on the episode that stopped in the middle: A down arrow with a circle progress bar indicating, I'm guessing, partially played. When I click on that icon it downloads the episode again and I can start the episode from the beginning.

    I am guessing there are others out there who have dealt with this and fixed it? Would love to hear from you.

    Thanks BeyondPod for all your work, I know app development can be difficult as I have released an app myself. Looking forward to more refinements in the new version
    It appears like what is happening is sometimes the podcast episode only gets partially downloaded. Then the episode is automatically added to my smart playlist and it plays till the part that is not downloaded and stops and goes to the next one.

    This is a very annoying problem. Does anyone know how to prevent episodes from going into smartplay that haven't been completely downloaded? Or to make sure that on the next feed update they finish downloading?

    I could be totally wrong on this, but I always have the circle icon showing partial download on the episode I was listening to that stopped in the middle.

  8. #8
    This continues to be a sporadic issue for me, too. In two recent cases I realized that the episode had only been partially downloaded. So I would say that josiahgarber has probably identified the problem. Why this is biting us with v4 and not with v3 is now the question.

  9. #9
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK, http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Indeed, I have only ever seen this happen for partially downloaded episodes. The trick is catching the download going wrong and send a log of THAT so that we can investigate it, which, unfortunately, nobody has been able to do yet.

    For the record, I used to get it from time to time with v3 too, but as my downloads are almost all scheduled, I never discovered the problem until it was much too late to get a log of the download only partically completing.

    Julie

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Indeed, I have only ever seen this happen for partially downloaded episodes. The trick is catching the download going wrong and send a log of THAT so that we can investigate it, which, unfortunately, nobody has been able to do yet.

    For the record, I used to get it from time to time with v3 too, but as my downloads are almost all scheduled, I never discovered the problem until it was much too late to get a log of the download only partically completing.

    Julie
    Is there anyway to make sure episodes that get partially downloaded, finish downloading during the next scheduled feed update? Also, is there any option to not play partially downloaded podcasts?

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •