Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read/Unread

Question Read/Unread

What happened to read/unread options?

The ability to show unread options (which would show both downloaded and undownloaded episodes that are unread. That option is unavailable.

Why?

There is only "my episodes" and "all published". How does this help me manage and navigate the episodes I have not read and want to select for download and/or adding to my playlist?

What's going on? What am I missing?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    What are you trying to achieve?

If you want to pick and choose which episodes you'd like to download (and ignore others from the feed), the easiest way to do it is to set your feeds to Stream Latest. When new episodes appear you'll be able to see them listed in My Episodes, and choose to either Download or Delete from there.

The distinction between unread/read and unplayed/played was confusing for many people in 3.x, which is why they were combined for media feeds. Using Stream in the feed settings allows you to get the same functionality.

HTH
    Julie

I guess I was not clear.

I have a feed. I want to see what episodes in the feed are unread.

I want to see both episodes I have downloaded and have not played and episodes I have not downloaded that are not read/played. For example, I may have downloaded Wednesday's episode but not Thursday, Friday or Monday's episode. Maybe there wasn't an episode on Thursday because of a holiday. All aforementioned episodes are unread. If I select "My Episodes" it only shows me Wednesday. If I select "All Published" it shows me everything every published. There is no option to show "Unread" to show any espisode I have not read/played (whatever terminology you prefer).

You took away too much functionality and usefulness when trying to simplify the read/played situation.

Streaming is a moot point for this query.

The product "BeyondPod Podcast Manager" and functionality needed to actually use it to manage podcasts is removed. I think there's a reason why it is not positioned in the marketplace as "BeyondPod Podcast Streamer".

BeyondPod Team
    Setting the feed to Stream episodes is a way of getting new Episodes visible in your My Episodes view so that you can manage (download / delete) them from there, rather than from the All Published view. The intention is not that you would actually stream them. It's simply a different workflow to achieve a similar result for those who want to pick and choose which podcasts they want to download and play.

As you will have seen in other threads about this in the forum where you have posted, we are investigating other ways to handle this in furture versions, without introducing unnecessary complexity and confusion for those who don't need it.

Julie

This does not appear to work for blog articles that don't contain audio or video. New articles don't show in My Episodes.

All you need to do is add a third view option of 'new only' to keep everyone happy.

Edit: found the answer: ignore the streaming stuff; you need to set the view to All Published then select Hide Read from the options list.
    Last edited by jpcjpc; 01-18-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Ah, found the answer

BeyondPod Team
    Yes indeed. Streaming will only ever work for feeds that have attached content that can be streamed.

But text feeds in general are a legacy feature dating back to the days when Android newsreaders were very thin on the ground. There are many more of them now, and since they're specifically designed for text feeds (as opposed to being an incidental side feature for a different type of RSS feed - i.e. one that doesn't have any media content), they'll generally do a far better job of handling them than BeyondPod, whose main purpose is to handle podcasts.

Julie

Unhappy Played versus Read

I find the workflow quite frustrating for manual downloads. I can list the All Published and filter Hide Played. I can then select those that I want to download. But I have to manually go through selecting those I haven't downloaded and mark them all Played, being careful to leave the downloaded shows Unplayed.

A Read/Unread filter would be seem much better.

Unless I am missing something...

BeyondPod Team
    If you want to pick and choose which episodes you want to download from some feeds, you'll find a suggestion for that workflow under the heading "If you prefer to choose download and play only certain episodes from some of your feed..." on this help page.

Julie

Thanks Julie. I can see that you've thought about this issue and are used to comments like mine. For me, I've found a better workaround which is to manage the feed from my Feedly integration. It's not ideal, as I still have to remember which are the downloaded stories that I need to leave unread. But it's easier than manually selecting each one to read on the phone (or delete in the case of the streaming option).

I've looked at the way in which Podcast Addict does it, which is similar to what used to be in BeyondPod. All the new unread posts can be viewed, selected for download, then with one action they are all read. It's a dream. Unfortunately, this app doesn't have the other features that make BeyondPod a great app, such as smartplay and showing time left on show. If you could bring back the read/unread view as an option (to save it confusing first users), BeyondPod would be close to perfect.

Unhappy Screen Shot Please?

Quote Originally Posted by jpcjpc View Post
    you need to set the view to All Published then select Hide Read from the options list
    I'm using v4.1.48 on a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I have checked the setting for "Allow Hiding of Read or Played" in the General Settings.

The only menu expansion on the "All Published" view is the gear symbol, not the three dots I've seen/read referenced as the overflow menu, and "Hide Read" is not in the options list.

Any help or guidance (or screen shots) would be most appreciated!

THANKS MUCH!