Thread: BP while driving (pause for GPS audio, etc)

BP while driving (pause for GPS audio, etc)

I often listen to podcasts while I drive.
    Sometimes I have GPS giving me directions at the same time.

Suggestions:
    1 - BP should pause playback when GPS starts giving directions and resume playback when the GPS audio has stopped.

2 - BP should offer to have voice recognition controls enabled while the device is moving (Pause, Resume, Rewind, Next)
    "Hey BP - Next track"
    "Hey BP - Play the next episode of Marketplace Morning Report"

If the GPS emits its directions as notifications, BP can already get out of the way: settings/Player Settings/Automatic Pause or Resume/Notifications. It doesn't pause for alarms, as far as I can tell; I don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice.

If the existing media voice commands (on my Samsung phone, system settings/My Device/Voice Control, but that varies wildly) generate the usual Intents, setting BP 'Headset Button Actions' might already do some of that. Haven't tried it, should be much better than fumbling for my phone when driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    If the GPS emits its directions as notifications, BP can already get out of the way: settings/Player Settings/Automatic Pause or Resume/Notifications. It doesn't pause for alarms, as far as I can tell; I don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice.

If the existing media voice commands (on my Samsung phone, system settings/My Device/Voice Control, but that varies wildly) generate the usual Intents, setting BP 'Headset Button Actions' might already do some of that. Haven't tried it, should be much better than fumbling for my phone when driving!
    settings/Player Settings/Automatic Pause seems to work great - Thanks!

Tried Galaxy S3...Settings...Voice Control (and Music checked) is enabled, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Would be great if BP could enable this.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I think the keyword you need to activate voice control for anything to do with AV is "Play". BP is enabled to listen for AV voice commands.
    e.g. "OK Google: Play Category News"

You may find the old help page for Quick Play (which was experimental in BP3.x, and is replaced by multiple SmartPlay lists in BP4.x) will help get you started.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    I think the keyword you need to activate voice control for anything to do with AV is "Play". BP is enabled to listen for AV voice commands.
    e.g. "OK Google: Play Category News"

You may find the old help page for Quick Play (which was experimental in BP3.x, and is replaced by multiple SmartPlay lists in BP4.x) will help get you started.

Julie
    When I try "OK Google, Play xxx" Google tries "Google Play Music", and if doesn't find it there, does a web search. How do I get "Google Now" to pas a command to BP?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The latest help page for Voice commands with Android Wear is at http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...e-command-help

The same commands should work on the device if you say "Listen to <Phrase> in <App Name>" (for example "Listen to music in BeyondPod" will play all in category music).

The biggest problem seems to be that voice control in general is pretty unreliable. If Google can't work out what you said, it can't pass your command to the appropriate app to execute it.
    Last edited by juwlz; 01-14-2015 at 03:17 AM.