Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio playback stops abruptly just before end of podcast (4.1.22)

Audio playback stops abruptly just before end of podcast (4.1.22)

I've been noticing an issue where playback of an audio podcast stops some seconds (can't give you an exact amount) before the actual end. Not sure if it's something settings related or an actual bug.

Running:
    BeyondPod Beta 4.1.22
    HTC One M7 Google Play Edition
    Android 5.0.1
    Not rooted

I will happily provide more details if any of this is relevant.

Does this happen with all of your feeds, or just some?

If it helps, this almost always happens to me with the NPR hourly news. I haven't investigated, because what's lost is always an ad, so I'm good with that. It doesn't happen to any other feeds.

Off the top of my head, I would say it has happened on more than one podcast. But since I am not sure, I will try to replicate the issue again and see where it pops up.

This is happening to me too, on every podcast. This has actually been happening for the past several betas (back to about when 4.0 came out)

BeyondPod Team
    When this occurs again can you send in an Android Log file through BeyondPod?

Also do you have playback speed adjustment enabled and could you provide an example feed this happens on?

Thanks
    Bill

Just sent and Android log file. I've tried this both with and without playback speed adjustment turned on (though when on, it's always at x1) and it still happens. The amount of the podcast that gets skips is also pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it's around 3 seconds, sometimes less than 1 second (on the same episode of the same podcast; I kept replaying the ends of some of them to check).

One feed that this happens on for me is "Hello Internet", which is particularly annoying because they like to end the podcast with a sharp cut rather than an outro. But this happens for every single one of my feeds (various NPR, the Firewall & Iceberg podcast, the Nerdist podcast, etc.).

I noticed something that might be related. On any podcast sometimes even right in the middle the player skips to the next entry in the playlist and the old item is marked as read. I'm not talking seconds here but sometimes up to an hour. This usually happens only once per podcast, but is not limited to one or some but happens on each. This is very annoying as you have to skip back to the other podcast and search where you've been before. I think it got worse with the lollypop but has been a problem for several BP beta versions now.
    I'm using a non-rooted nexus4 with lollypop 5.0.1

I can confirm that this still happens as of the current beta version 4.1.31, and it happens on multiple podcasts so it's not an issue with a specific podcast. I just sent an Android Logfile referencing this issue.

Examples of a podcast where this has happened: Podnutz Daily, Linux Action Show and many others. Feeds for those are: http://feeds.feedburner.com/podnutzdaily and http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheLiunuxActionShow

Using HTC One M7 GPE, Android 5.0.1

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by t.animal View Post
    On any podcast sometimes even right in the middle the player skips to the next entry in the playlist and the old item is marked as read. I'm not talking seconds here but sometimes up to an hour. This usually happens only once per podcast
    The root cause of that can sometimes be that the episode hasn't fully downloaded, so BP plays the portion that HAS downloaded, and then moves on to the next item in your playlist. You should now see a symbol in your playlist / player to show that an episode hasn't fully downloaded, if that is the case.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The root cause of that can sometimes be that the episode hasn't fully downloaded, so BP plays the portion that HAS downloaded, and then moves on to the next item in your playlist. You should now see a symbol in your playlist / player to show that an episode hasn't fully downloaded, if that is the case.
    This is a nice feature, alright, but it can't tackle the issue. I've probably not made this clear enough, but I can go back to the aborted podcast, search for where it stopped and continue playing even without wireless lan. I.e. it can't be a download issue.
    However I've not experienced this in the last two or so weeks and it was worst during a time when other weird stuff happened to my phone (e.g. random reboots) that could be explained by memory issues and the kernel killing random processes. So if your player runs in its own thread, it might have been killed to free memory. I suspect some meanwhile patched system app had a memory leak or something like that.
    So maybe it's over now? *Crossing fingers*