Thread: BUG: BP interferes with Maps voice navigation

Exclamation BUG: BP interferes with Maps voice navigation

When applications like Google Music and Pandora are playing in the background, they pause for Google Maps voice navigation, allowing the complete voice navigation to play, and then resume properly.

By comparison, BP does not play nice with Google Maps voice navigation -- it does pause, but only the first word of two of the voice navigation can be heard -- the rest of the voice navigation is silenced. (Example: "In a quar..." instead of "In a quarter mile, turn left.") BP then resumes properly after the silence of the time it would take for the full voice navigation.

I do have Pause on Notification checked in Player Settings > Automatic Pause or Resume.

Since this also fails in prior versions, I suspect it's something to do with Android Lollipop.

It's a pretty serious problem because it prevents me from using BP and Google Maps at the same time.

BP: 4.1.24 (also fails in prior versions)
    Device model: Nexus 5
    Android version: 5.0.1 (LRX22C)
    Carrier: T-Mobile USA
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

Now BP and Maps are working properly together. After my earlier report I changed Replay on Resume from Do not Replay to Last 5 secs. Perhaps that had some bearing on the issue.

Happened again, so is a BUG.
    Please fix. Thanks.

I'm using Bluetooth in my car, which is a factor --
    there's no problem with Bluetooth off using speakerphone.
    The Bluetooth problem also prevents audio on voice phone calls,
    which makes it VERY SERIOUS. PLEASE FIX IT. Thank you.
    Last edited by JNavas; 02-16-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Please respond.
    Thank you.
    Hope that helps,
    John

I've had a very similar issue on my Samsung S5. The S4 did not have this issue but the S5 had the issue before and after an upgrade to Lollipop.
    In my case, I thought it was Waze and I actually have a bug report in with them at the moment. A lot of the time (and it's a lot worse with bluetooth enabled) the navigation would be truncated but worse is Beyondpod pausing to play the traffic announcement but then not resuming again. Some days its about 80% of the navigation prompts, other days it does not occur at all. I initially thought it was a bluetooth thing but I've had the same thing when playing via the speaker and playing via headphones.
    However, yesterday I did not have waze running in the car and the podcast actually stopped when I got a notification for a calendar event popup.
    I do have the pause on notification option selected.
    Beyondpod 4.1.27
    Waze 3.9.3.906

Yes, version 4.1.27 also fails.

As a paying customer I'm entitled to a prompt Support response.
    Thank you.

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement
    Last modified: September 25, 2014

3.6 You Support Your Product. Buyers are instructed to contact the developer concerning any defects or performance issues in applications downloaded and installed from Google Play. You will be solely responsible for, and Google will have no responsibility to undertake or handle support and maintenance of your Products and any complaints about your Products. You must supply and maintain valid and accurate contact information that will be displayed in each application detail page on the Store and made available to users for customer support and legal purposes. For paid Products or in-app transactions, you must respond to customer support inquiries within three (3) business days, and within 24 hours to any support or Product concerns stated to be urgent by Google. Failure to provide adequate information or support for your Products may result in low Product ratings, less prominent product exposure, low sales, billing disputes, or removal from the Store.
    Hope that helps,
    John

BeyondPod Team
    Sorry for the late reply (...I dropped the ball on this ticket and I apologize. We looked at the log files at the time and did not find anything that provided a clue).

Unfortunately, bluetooth audio routing problems are not something that we have control over. All audio routing is handled by Android and BeyondPod is not even aware of if it is playing over bluetooth, speaker or wired headset, nor it is does anything different based on how the audio is routed. BeyondPod (or actually the internal player) just outputs audio to a common audio output and Android handles the actual sound routing.

For example when Maps or any other app decides to "say" something, it requests the "AudioFocus" (e.g Android tells us that somebody needs to use the audio). In response we pause. At that point, the control of the audio is entirely in the hands of Android and the other app. Once we receive the AudioFocus back we resume. For the duration of the the time we don't have the audio focus we are just paused - and the audio is handled by the other app. Why Maps plays only partially is very strange as we don't interact with Bluetooth hardware/drivers in any way - we just pause and resume. Internally in our code we follow all best practices that Google has published so far (there are not many, but we use what is available).

This seems to be very device and situation dependent (just search for Google Maps Spotify/Pandora/Play Music issues and you will find many reports of issues). I am not sure why it works sometimes, why it does not, but all our efforts to dig into it has been futile so far. We have looked at many logs and there is nothing that can hint to what is going on. The only clue we had so far was that occasionally Bluetooth audio pipleline runs out of memory. But in this case it is underlying OS audio code that fails - all we see is an error "sorry, can't play". This is more of an issue with Bluetooth playback as and due to Bluetooth stack latency Bluetooth playback requires larger buffers, especially if you play episode with high bitrate.

There are a few troubleshooting tips that we have accumulated over the years that seem to work in some situations. They are collected in our Troubleshooting Section.

We are always looking for a way to make the experience seamless, but with the limited resources we have we can do only so much - especially when the problems originate in interaction with other applications or Android OS itself. If anyone has any insight to why that may be happening, please post your ideas here.

Stefan