Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scheduled updates problem

scheduled updates problem

Hi
    BP fails to update on schedule. Manual updates work fine. Update log shows it is not even attempting to update on schedule.

BeyondPodLog has the following messages several times a day.
    " 29/01/2015 22:41:49: Masterview
    (4.0.32) - Detected that Android has lost our update schedule,
    Restoring.....
    29/01/2015 22:41:49: ScheduledTasksManager
    (4.0.32) - Resheduling all active schedule tasks,
    29/01/2015 22:41:49: ScheduledTasksManager
    (4.0.32) - Scheduled 5 of 5 active tasks, "

I have BP 4.0.32 on a Huawei G6 with Android 4.3

Can anyone tell me what might be causing android to forgot the update schedule?

Have you force closed BeyondPod or do you have any app that force closes apps for you? Among many things force closing clears any scheduled starts of the force closed app.

I don't believe so. BP is set as protected, so power saving app doesn't kill it. It is allowed to run in background etc.
    But yes, it does appear something is killing it. And several times a day. How can I find out what, and more importantly how can I reset its permissions to do what it wants. I have tried reinstalling BP.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    BP can't control what kills it. You could try completely disabling whatever is doing your task killing for a while, and see what happens.

Going a few steps beyond Julie's idea, I'm taking a WAG, not knowing the guts of Android as well as I should, but did the name change that required recreating the launcher widget (BP, BP Evo, BP again) also disrupt the association with your task killer?

Is the name in the App Manager (system Settings/App<something>, depending on your software) the same that you have in your task killer, wherever you have it as "Set as protected"?

Its a preinstalled app and wont allow me to disable it. I closed it down, and hopefully it will stay that way long enough to see whether it is the cause.

The name of the launcher, in the settings, and the task killer are the same.

BP seems to shut down all services and processes about a minute after I close it. Is that normal behaviour or does it relate to this problem?

BeyondPod stops its service after about a minute when it is no longer needed, after that it is up to Android to decide for how long the cached process will be kept in memory.

If the cached process also dies after a minute either memory pressure is very high on your device or something else is trying to ruin performance by killing cached processes needlessly.

So from that point of view BP is behaving as it should. Though I dont know how to find out if a cached process is running.

To get back to the known issues. Android keeps losing the update schedule and BP keeps trying to reload it. Out of interest I just rebooted the phone and checked BeyondPodLog. BP recognises it has been rebooted and reloads the update schedule.

Anyone know enough about Android to know where to find log file or data where schedules would be kept.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus automatic View Post
    So from that point of view BP is behaving as it should. Though I dont know how to find out if a cached process is running.
    System's App manager, swipe right-to-left to Running, tap on 'Show Cached processes'. This also shows a bar at the bottom depicting memory usage.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus automatic View Post
    To get back to the known issues. Android keeps losing the update schedule and BP keeps trying to reload it. Out of interest I just rebooted the phone and checked BeyondPodLog. BP recognises it has been rebooted and reloads the update schedule.

Anyone know enough about Android to know where to find log file or data where schedules would be kept.
    Since Jellybean(?), each app can only see its own entries in the Android log (you can see BP's entries in it from Settings > Menu > View Logs). To see all the log entries, you'd have to be rooted. There used to be at least a couple of apps in the Play store (such as CatLog) that would allow you to view the Android log, but they're pretty much redundant now, since they would only be able to see their own log entries.

Julie