Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hiding podcasts from Play Music

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24

    Hiding podcasts from Play Music

    So, this has come up 5 or 6 times for me... Every time I re-install BeyondPod on a new phone or do a factory reset, I end up with Play Music player playing my podcasts. I don't want it to play them and it really makes no sense to have a podcast player and then not use it. This last time it happened out was out snowboarding and reception was bad enough I was trying to play music only from my device -- about 75% of it was podcasts I didn't want to hear!

    Every time this happens I have to search the forums for how to stop them from showing up, and then how to clear them out of Play Music. I really don't understand why hiding podcasts from Play Music isn't the default, and why the setting for it is in Advanced Settings.

    And I also don't understand why it is so hard to find documentation on how to clear out the cache or whatever it is once this does happen.

    I am always copying my settings from a previous version of BeyondPod, so the box is already checked saying I don't the podcasts in Play Music, but every time, I have to uncheck and then recheck the box to get it to work. Then, since the music is already in Play Music, I have to stand on my head and cluck to get them out of Play Music.

    So, once more, how do I get Play Music to stop playing my podcasts? I am on a Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. I have unchecked "Episodes Visible in Music Player". I have tried "Clear Cache" in Play Music and that makes it so the only things it will play off the device are podcasts.

  2. #2
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    109
    noisygecko,

    Try following this process to reset the media library. http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...rary-list.html

    We will look into blocking the media from other Play Music on settings restore if it is checked.

    Thanks

    Bill

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24
    So it turns out that after "Clear Cache" in Play Music (that doesn't remove podcasts), I restarted the phone and now it has cleared everything. I didn't want to clear all music while I was on the slopes snowboarding since I wanted to keep listening to my downloaded music.

    It would be nice if this was easier to accomplish or especially if it never happened in the first place...

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsobi View Post
    noisygecko,

    Try following this process to reset the media library. http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...rary-list.html

    We will look into blocking the media from other Play Music on settings restore if it is checked.

    Thanks

    Bill

  4. #4
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko View Post
    So, this has come up 5 or 6 times for me... Every time I re-install BeyondPod on a new phone or do a factory reset, I end up with Play Music player playing my podcasts. I don't want it to play them and it really makes no sense to have a podcast player and then not use it. This last time it happened out was out snowboarding and reception was bad enough I was trying to play music only from my device -- about 75% of it was podcasts I didn't want to hear!
    This is controlled by the existence (or non-existence) of a .nomedia file in the BeyondPod directory. To create one using BeyondPod, in the Advanced Settings (Playlist settings section), untick the "Episodes Visible in Music Player" box. For Advanced settings, go to Settings, and then hit the three dots menu button (or physical menu button if your device has one).

    Unfortunately, this file often doesn't get restored (or maybe doesn't get backed up) by file systems and/or backup software. So in these cases, the box may be unticked in BP, but the .nomedia file doesn't exist (because BP thinks it has created it, but something else has deleted it). To recreate the .nomedia file, tick and untick the box.

    HTH
    Julie

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24
    So, what you are saying is that when BeyondPod does a restore from a backup, BeyondPod should create those ".nomedia" files if the "Episodes Visible in Music Player" box is unticked. But it doesn't.

    There are two parts to this. That the above outlined bug exists, and that it is really hard and not well explained how to remove the episodes from the Play Music cache.

    Plus, the default should be that they do not show up in the music player. Or maybe BeyondPod could ask the user if they want that to happen when they install it. By the time the user figures out that the podcasts are showing up in Play Music, there are lots of episodes there that are really hard to remove. As happens when I restore from a backup...

    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    This is controlled by the existence (or non-existence) of a .nomedia file in the BeyondPod directory. To create one using BeyondPod, in the Advanced Settings (Playlist settings section), untick the "Episodes Visible in Music Player" box. For Advanced settings, go to Settings, and then hit the three dots menu button (or physical menu button if your device has one).

    Unfortunately, this file often doesn't get restored (or maybe doesn't get backed up) by file systems and/or backup software. So in these cases, the box may be unticked in BP, but the .nomedia file doesn't exist (because BP thinks it has created it, but something else has deleted it). To recreate the .nomedia file, tick and untick the box.

    HTH
    Julie

  6. #6
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    We've already put on the ToDo list for 4.2:

    1. Make it the default for new installs to have the .nomedia file unless the user actively wants the Music Player to be able to see podcasts
    2. To check whether the .nomedia file exists if the BP setting says it should, and recreate it when necessary.

    Julie

  7. #7
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Fixed in 4.1.27

    1. By default for new installations, the setting will be not to share, and the .nomedia file will be created.
    2. If, after a restore, BP's settings are not to share, a .nomedia file will be created if it doesn't already exist.

    Julie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •