Thread: Content Sources - Inoreader

Content Sources - Inoreader

I use a web service called Inoreader for managing all of my content including blogs, RSS feeds, YouTube content, Twitter traffic, Google Alerts, etc. as well as my podcast subscriptions. The reason I have everything in Inoreader is so I have all the content I consume in one place.

he one challenge I have is that the Inoreader developed Android app does is not really built for listening to podcasts and I have been searching for another app that is like a traditional podcast app / manager but has the ability to integrate / interface to Inoreader for listening / viewing audio or video content. The closest I have been able to get to this goal is an Android app called News+ which integrates to Inoreader and has some podcast capability but does not have all of the features of a traditional podcast app.

I am writing this post to determine whether the BeyondPod team, or any other BeyondPod users are interested incorporating this capability as outlined above. I know you support Feedly integration and was wondering if you have any plans to integrate in a similar way with Inoreader.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and I look forward to your feedback.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

TBH, while Feedly integration works quite well for news feeds (which dates back to the inception of BP, when there were very few Newsreading apps around, and is NOT BeyondPod's focus), there are some limitations in the way that Feedly works that make it less than ideal for use with podcast feeds. So while BeyondPod technically has Feedly integration, it doesn't work anything like as well as everybody would like it to.

If I'm honest, I'd never heard of Inoreader until I read your post, which leads me to believe that there probably wouldn't be a high demand for integration with it (but of course, I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't know about it). I see that they offer an API which it claims (as Feedly's does) that it is a direct replacement for Google Reader. However, although the API may be a direct replacement, part of the problem with Feedly is that it doesn't behave the same way that Google Reader did, which is part of the reason why it doesn't work terribly well with podcast feeds. Whether Inoreader would be any better than Feedly for podcast integration is difficult to say.

I will pass your request on though.

Julie

Julie,

Thank you for the reply and follow up.

In response to your comment about awareness of Inoreader, they are doing some pretty amazing things with aggregating all types of content which provides you the ability to manage a variety of sources through a single interface and then using the internal capabilities to apply business rules to take action on that content. It goes way beyond anything Google Reader had been doing or even Feedly is doing now.

IMO, it would be an opportunity for BeyondPod to provide the multimedia app / interface for this type of service for consuming content.

Also and in case there was any interest, I would be more than happy to speak / communicate with the team for additional input or to answer questions.

Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    fyako,

Over the years, we have tried to work with several companies on integrating with their back end for audio/video content in in each case we faced the following two problems:

1. Their back end is optimized for text content, and lacks support for extra data that is required by audio/video content. For example they support read/unread/starred flags for individual items, but usually don't support albumArt, duration, media type, played position, bookmarks etc. - metadata that is important for a media app. In our conversations so far they have always expressed desire to add that support but that has always been in "one of the next versions". I can understand that - it adds extra work to retrieve and maintain this data on their back end systems.
    2. Copyright and content distribution issues - podcasts have a nice quality that are freely downloadable and playable. Any time you get into content from a "big" content/media company (like YouTube, vimeo, NBC, CBS etc.) you get into limitations of what can you do with the content (for example you can stream but can't download). Limitations like that eventually lead to inconsistent experiences and user frustrations.

None of those issues are insurmountable, but so far in our experience the trouble was not worth the effort for both sides. We would be glad to talk to the Inforeader team, but chances are that we will face the same issues with the same results.

Stefan

Stefan,

Thanks for the reply and background on the past issues and constraints.

I was not aware of those details and now understand that this might represent some challenges without the cooperation of the other entity.

The founder of Inoreader is Yordan Yordanov, the parent company is called Innologica, and I think you would be surprised with some of the capabilities and considerations they have placed into their solution. I can't speak for Yordan but I have had a good experience to date in dealing with him and his team and I think he would be pretty open to a discussion on this topic and to share any information you might need to assess the potential here.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do from my end to assist and/or please feel free to use my name when communicating with him to indicate this is a request that came from one of their satisfied customers (I have had direct communication with him via their forum).

Thanks again for the consideration and I will look forward to an update.

Frank

BeyondPod Team
    Frank,

I will be glad to talk to Yordan, If you can send a way (e-mail/phone) to contact him directly to our support e-mail (support@beyondpod.mobi) I will get in touch with him and see if there is something we can do together.

Stefan

Stefan,

Thanks, let me get that information and I will send it to that email address.

Frank

Stefan,

I wanted to confirm that I have been communicating with the Inoreader Team and they are interested to speak with you and I have passed along the email address that you provided as well as the background of our discussion. They did not confirm the actual timing due to some competing priorities but indicated they would keep me up to date.

Thanks,

Frank