Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartplay playlist no longer available to other music players

Smartplay playlist no longer available to other music players

I've been using the Smartplay automatic playlist-building for a couple of years now, and it's a wonderful feature, but since I upgraded to BeyondPod 4 in late December, the Smartplay list, formerly called "BeyondPod", is no longer available to other music players. This is a problem for me as I use a third-party player. (It has full-screen gestural controls, making it easy to control while driving without looking at the phone or having to muck around with voice controls, which are always a little flaky.)

I've gone into BP's Advanced playlist settings, where the "Episodes Visible in Music Player" option was still ticked. I tried unticking it, restarting, then ticking it and restarting, then refreshing the Smartplay playlist. No dice.

I've used a local shell window to verify that there is no ".nomedia" file in the BeyondPod directory, which is on my SD card (but I'm not running KitKat, so that's not the problem).

I've read posts on this forum, where I've seen people with the opposite problem. I watched the help video on Smartplay, but it was meant for people just getting started with it and did not mention other music players. I even tried giving the playlist a customized name, but that didn't help either.

No matter what I've tried, neither the built-in Music Player nor my third-party app - which always saw the updated "BeyondPod" playlist from v3 - can see it any more. While the old playlist stuck around, it did not get updated at all after the BP upgrade.

If I make a shortcut widget on the Home screen to the Smartplay list, when I tap on it I can select my player app and it will play. But it only gets one episode at a time, not the playlist; and when I exit and tap on the shortcut again, BP supplies the next episode even if I was only partway through the previous one. So that's not useable either. (The player also doesn't receive the podcast information for display, e.g. title.)

I don't mind learning a new interface, but I do need the old behavior in this case. The settings suggest it should still work, but it doesn't seem to. How do I get it back?

Thank you.

Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions etc. about this problem? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nmgyrl View Post
    Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions etc. about this problem? Thank you.
    Send email to BP Support. If you are a paying customer, you are entitled to a response within three business days.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

BeyondPod Team
    nmgyrl,

Android deprecated one of the libraries that was used for this feature and we were forced to remove it from BeyondPod. The Episodes Visible in Music Player setting allows for individual downloaded episodes to be visible to other media players.

Thanks
    Bill

Thank you very much for the explanation. It does sometimes seem as though Android is making things harder.

One sort-of workaround I may try is to have BeyondPod store all its files in the general music area that the other music players use. While I might not be able to take advantage of the automatic playlist rebuilding, at least the other players should then see the files and I could make playlists from there. (Of course, KitKat may break this since I use an external SD card for all audio, etc., but I can sort that out when I come to it.)

You don't need to move the files. As long as you turn off the option in BeyondPod that creates a .nomedia file in the BeyondPod directory episodes can be seen by other players.

Regardless of where you store the episodes though you need a 3rd party tool that will notify Android when BeyondPod has downloaded new episodes because BeyondPod intentionally does not follow the required procedure when storing new files. Annoying but at least there's a workaround for BeyondPod's bad behaviour.

Sorry, you may have missed my initial post where I described what I had investigated, including a) I have that option set properly, and b) when I double-checked for the .nomedia file, there wasn't one. Also, BeyondPod support has since explained the cause.

Since the stock Android Music Player app can browse to subdirectories under the top-level Music folder (but apparently nowhere else), I can put a "BeyondPod" one in there where it puts the episodes, and then create a Playlist from everything in there - just like my other 15GB of music is organized. My third-party driving-optimized player uses those playlists very nicely.

I thought about manually copying the Smartplay playlist file into /storage/sdcard0/Playlists, but I can't actually find a playlist file of any kind in BeyondPod's area. It's all just .txt, .htm, .xml, .bpbak, and .autobak (and of course .mp3).

I just tried telling my phone to use the top-level /storage/extSdCard to look for music, rather than only /storage/extSdCard/Music, but that didn't help, even after restarting the phone. I'm a little nervous to try doing "Clear Data" under "Media Storage", but that may be necessary.

Ok. That might be device specific then because Play Music, and other players, can find podcasts just fine in the default BeyondPod directory on my Nexus 5 as long as I run a 3rd party tool to update the device media database since BeyondPod doesn't do it itself.

I'd be interested to know what third-party tool you use, because that might do the trick more simply than moving stuff around. Feel free to message me if naming names isn't appropriate in a forum.

It worked fine for me until BeyondPod v4, so I don't think the problem now is device-specific (Samsung Stratosphere 2). With the Episodes Visible in Music Player setting enabled, BeyondPod 3 did in fact do this itself; its Smartplay playlist was always visible in other players without any additional actions by me.

Thank you!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @nmgyrl You could configure BeyondPod to use your third party player. You can do this in Settings | Player Settings | Default Audio/Video Player. If you select Use External Audio, the next time you play something from within BP, Android will ask you which player you want to use.

HTH
    Julie