Thread: Add a to-be-deleted queue?

Lightbulb Add a to-be-deleted queue?

I have my copy of BeyondPod set to delete episodes after playing. However, sometimes, I'd like to keep an episode or listen to it again and I have to download it again. (If I can. Some BBC feeds only make one episode available.)

How about when I finish an episode, its not deleted right away, but goes into a queue of (say) 10 episodes and is only deleted when pushed out the bottom of the queue. This way, I'd get a grace period to save episodes from deletion but also be saved the hassle of deleting episodes after I listen to them.

Many thanks, Bill.

I would love this feature too. Another way to work it would be to have the recycle bin (or whatever) be emptied whenever an update is about to occur, so it would hold everything played since the last update (instead of a fixed number of episodes).

An option to auto-delete episodes (say) an hour after finishing them (and not marking them as to-keep in that hour) would do the trick as well.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Variations on this theme are something that we've considered in the past, but it would involve a more fundamental change to the code than you might think.

It might happen at some point in the future, but there are other higher priority things on the ToDo list for now.

In the meantime, if there's an episode you want to keep, you can mark it as a Favourite from the player list (and other places), which will prevent it from being deleted. You can also prevent automatic deletion on a per feed basis by removing the tick in Allow Episode Deletions in the feed's Advanced settings.

Julie

Neither of those fixes my use case at all, I'm afraid. The problem I have is that every so often (once every couple of days, actually), I'll accidentally tap the "Skip to End" button when I didn't mean to. in particular, most of the time it's because I'm fumbling with the phone, and end up hitting it twice instead of just once, so I end up skipping an entire episode before I'm aware of what I just did. As soon as I realize, it's too late to find out what I just deleted. I have to go flipping around a lot to try to find out what feed, then dig back into that feed's back episodes, and then redownload.

Thinking about it, maybe what I really want is for the Skip to End button (and any headset buttons assigned to that action) to be inactive for the first 3-5 seconds of a podcast, to prevent accidental overskipping. I realize some people would probably hate that setting, but it would be a lifesaver for me. Alternatively, if there were at least a convenient to get to log of what got played last time, so I could easily find out what I'd missed, that would at least be something.

My second use case is a little different from the first, and lower priority to me, but right now I have my headset "back" button mapped to Skip to End (delete the episode, I never want to listen to it) and my headset forward button mapped to "Skip to Next" (don't delete this, I'm not interested in it right now but I may come back to it). I don't use the latter very often, but just enough that it's slightly more convenient to me than a more conventional second action. But if the deletion were deferred, I'd just use Skip to End all the time, and if there were something I did want to come back to, I could go back and save it from the deletion queue (which would save the other action for something more useful, like skipping backwards a few seconds to rehear something). Of course, I have full control on the phone itself, but it's handy to have a few buttons on the headset for the most used functions. I don't mind approaching the whole thing differently, but I thought explaining what I'm actually trying to do might help understand my purposes.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    Alternatively, if there were at least a convenient to get to log of what got played last time, so I could easily find out what I'd missed, that would at least be something.
    What to Play at the top of the feed drawer includes three sections: Latest Episodes, Recently Played, and Favourite Episodes. You'll find up to six of each type of qualifying episodes there, including your 6 most Recently Played episodes.

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    What to Play at the top of the feed drawer includes three sections: Latest Episodes, Recently Played, and Favourite Episodes. You'll find up to six of each type of qualifying episodes there, including your 6 most Recently Played episodes.
    Doesn't include episodes that have already been deleted, though.

removed: please ignore me

I'd just like to say that the new Advanced setting for "Automatically Delete Played Episodes" (added around Beta 4.1.38) is *exactly* what I wanted, and suits me perfectly. Thank you so much!

BeyondPod Team
    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback.

Julie