Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BeyondPod won't stop playing

Question BeyondPod won't stop playing

I've run into a problem several times now when BeyondPod will be playing a podcast and will not stop. The app will not respond to the pause button on my headset, will not stop when a phone call is taken, will not respond to the pause button on my bluetooth headset, and will not pause either from the homescreen widget or within the in-app player.

The app responds, but the pause function simple will not work. I have to either force close the app from the task manager, from Android settings, or restart my phone.

I am using an LG G3 D850 (AT&T), BeyondPod 4.1.27, and running Android 5.0.1, kernel 3.4.0.

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

I've reported this before, it's very annoying, and there doesn't seem to be a solution yet. I suggest you try to get a log of it and send it to them.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @neel2004 I haven't come across it before (does it make a difference whether you're streaming or playing downloaded episodes, and what other apps the phone/tablet is running at the time?)

However, as @stuartajc says, the next time it happens please send a log, quoting this forum thread. There are basically three possible scenarios that I can think of:
    1. Something is preventing the pause tap from registering at all (does it make a difference whether the tap the play/pause button or the artwork - assuming you're in the player screen)? Have you tried pausing from the Notification shade.
    2. The tap is being registered, but ignored
    3. The tap is being registered, but BP can't get enough CPU to respond to it.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I sent a log yesterday at 9:50 am, with this thread link at the top of the email.

I have tried pausing from the notification shade, from the app player, from the widget, and from Bluetooth headphones, and it doesn't pause when a call is sent or recieved.

The problem happens when I play downloaded episodes (haven't tried streaming), and all of the app except player controls continues to respond - - just no pause, skip, etc. Tapping the artwork does not pause either.

BeyondPod Team
    OK. Thanks for the log. I'll alert the appropriate people to look out for it.

Julie

I have the same problem - very annoying. When BeyondPod was playing and I received a phone call and BP continued to play over my phone conversation, that was the last straw - I switched to Doggcatcher. I prefer BeyondPod, but cannot deal with this issue.

How is Doggcatcher? I'm about at the point your are, especially when it plays through phone calls and won't stop playing when I get into work in the morning.

BeyondPod Team
    Hi @teedubya56, @neel2004

I'm guessing that the log that we received in March didn't show anything helpful. Having said that, the more logs we can get, the better chance we have of being able to identify what's causing this. Clearly, it's not happening to the majority of users, so we need to identify what's different for you to be able to have any chance of fixing it.

Other things that might help in the meantime are some of the Player Settings | Automatic Pause or Resume options:
    • Pause on Headset disconnect
    • Pause on Power disconnect
    • Pause on Notification

Next time it happens, could you please immediately send an Android log, with a description of what was happening (e.g. connected to BlueTooth / wired headset / playing through speaker) and how you tried to pause. Obviously, we'd like to be able to identify and fix this issue if we can.

@teedubya56 What phone, Android version and BeyondPod version do you have?

Thanks
    Julie

I have this issue also - when I get a phone call, instead of pausing, BP switches momentarily to speaker and then to bluetooth hands-free (not a2dp from the sound quality). I end up with my boss talking over my podcast - which is only occasionally funny.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mmchugh View Post
    I have this issue also - when I get a phone call, instead of pausing, BP switches momentarily to speaker and then to bluetooth hands-free (not a2dp from the sound quality). I end up with my boss talking over my podcast - which is only occasionally funny.
    Phone calls are handled by Android as Notifications. Please check whether you have BP set to pause on Notifications (Settings | Player Settings | Automatic Pause or Resume | Pause on Notification). NB: Resume after call only applies to older versions of Android which handled calls differently.

Julie