Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BeyondPod won't stop playing

Thanks Julie, Pause on Notification fixed the problem.
    I'm much happier now.
    Maurice

Apologies for hijacking - let me know if I need to start a new thread.Mine did this for the first time today - the podcast was playing very quietly over my incar bluetooth as I received a phone call. As this was the first time I wasn't that bothered about it. I do have issues with play resuming after a call has finished. Most of the time it does resume playback (but not in the above call) and typically when it fails its on a long conversation with someone as opposed to a short one.
    I do typically have waze running in the foreground on the phone too for navigation with beyondpod in the background in case this makes any difference or has other users with the same issue. I'm wondering now if waze is trying to provide directions and that is the clash....I'll try and check if that is the case.

The Pause on Notification is selected and the resume is unselectable. Running Samsung S6, Verizon, Android v5, Beyondpod 4.1.41pro

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by absoblogginlutely View Post
    Apologies for hijacking - let me know if I need to start a new thread. Mine did this for the first time today - the podcast was playing very quietly over my incar bluetooth as I received a phone call. As this was the first time I wasn't that bothered about it.
    To be able to answer that, we'd need to see an Android log taken VERY soon after the issue occurred (not easy when you're driving, I know).
    No need to start a new thread for a similar / related issue. In fact, it's useful to keep the conversation all together in one place.

I do have issues with play resuming after a call has finished. Most of the time it does resume playback (but not in the above call) and typically when it fails its on a long conversation with someone as opposed to a short one.
    I do typically have waze running in the foreground on the phone too for navigation with beyondpod in the background in case this makes any difference or has other users with the same issue. I'm wondering now if waze is trying to provide directions and that is the clash....I'll try and check if that is the case.

The Pause on Notification is selected and the resume is unselectable. Running Samsung S6, Verizon, Android v5, Beyondpod 4.1.41pro
    Failure to resume is most likely because Android killed BeyondPod to use your device's RAM for something else (such as the phone call, plus any additional notifications that arrived while you were calling). In this case, all a log would show is that BP got killed.

The Resume after Call setting only applies to much older versions of Android where phone calls were handled differently (i.e. not as a Notification), which is why it's greyed out.

Julie

no restart - logs sent.

It didn't restart again this morning so i managed to pull over and send the logs a couple of minutes later. Took me a while to find out where the logs were from memory so hopefully this is quick enough to have the relevant information in the log.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by absoblogginlutely View Post
    Took me a while to find out where the logs were from memory so hopefully this is quick enough to have the relevant information in the log.
    The link to the Help page about it was in my last post, but anyway, I'll ask my colleagues to keep an eye out for it.
    However, if it's failure to restart, it's almost certainly that Android killed BP because it needed more RAM for something else. The log's really only useful to see what happened if it failed to PAUSE.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    The link to the Help page about it was in my last post, but anyway, I'll ask my colleagues to keep an eye out for it.
    Yep - I looked at the link from home, thought I would remember how to do that. Back in the car when it occurred I was checking the 3 dot menu in all the wrong screens trying to remember which screen I needed to start from. Found it eventually.

I figured the log file would at least confirm that the app is being killed for memory

It feels like BeyondPod puts me in a no win situation when the phone calls. if I (a) have "Pause on Notification" checked then podcasts stop all the time (randomly) as various notifications from email, sms, etc come in - that's annoying. But the good side is that with that checked everything stops for incoming phone calls and then starts playing again when the call ends - that part is perfect. However if I (b) have "Pause on Notification" turned off, then I never run into annoying stoppages (which is great), but when I receive a phone call I have to remember to manually pause BeyondPod or I'm hearing the podcast and the phone call at the same time - which is obviously annoying.

The obvious solution seems to be to treat phone call notifications as a different situation than all over notifications. Why doesn't BeyondPod work that way?

BeyondPod Team
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Before Google changed Android to make incoming calls notifications, we used to use a hack to do this. Unfortunately, that was quite some time ago, and the hack may no longer work. We can certainly investigate though.

Julie

Thanks Julie, that does make sense. I would assume that I'm not the only one who has this issue, and I'm sure everyone who does have would appreciate a solution - that being said, sometimes the framework doesn't allow certain things. I'll hope that a fix is possible and not too complicated to do.