Thread: Playback speed stuck in "chipmunk mode" for certain podcasts

Playback speed stuck in "chipmunk mode" for certain podcasts

I just got a new, sub-compact smartphone with Android 4.2.2 and after setting up BeyondPod with a bunch of my favorite shows, I also went in and set the playback speed to 1.5x for many of them. But some shows get stuck in that higher-pitch tone like the Chipmunks (a la Alvin, Simon, Theodore) and even when I adjust the speed back to 1x the pitch stays high. Then when I tap the little sprocket and slide way down to something like 0.3x it just sounds like really drunk chipmunks. This was never a problem on any of my previous Android devices so I'm not sure what's going on here. Especially since my new device is, well, newer and has a more recent version of Android OS...

Any advice is very much appreciated.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

The pitch shouldn't change for any of them. The speed adjustment should be smarter than that!

In general, each episode will play at the same speed as the previous one, unless the episode's feed has a default speed configured (including x1 for those that you would like to be played at normal speed).

When you ask for a speed change on the Player screen (or by default from the feed), BeyondPod requests that playback speed from your device's built-in player. It's up to the player to respond to that request. And frankly, some manufacturers' players are better than others in various different respects.

btw, did you know that you can set 3 preset speeds using the gear in the speed settings? Tap on the gear for instructions. Does it make any difference if you tap a preset button, rather than dragging the slider to select the speed?

One thing that might have happened when you got your new phone is that Google busily installed for you all the apps you had ever installed on previous devices, even if you weren't still using them. Could you check in your System Settings / Apps whether you have the Presto speed adjuster app installed? A long time ago, it used to be the only way to do speed adjustments, but it was always buggy. And now the built in player should support speed adjustment natively. If you do have Presto installed, please remove it and see if that helps.

Julie

Yes, I do know about the playback speed presets. I've actually been using beyondPod for several years now and I make very good use of the playback speed settings. I've only really had problems, especially with pitch, since I got this new device.

As for the plugin, did not have the Presto plugin installed on this new device for the first few times that I tried to get my player to work correctly. But after a lot of difficulty I tried installing it just to see if that would fix the problem. But it did not so I removed it again.

so it sounds a lot like these problems are specific to the built in player of the phone itself. are there other players that I can download and install and that beyond pod withare there other players that I can download and install and that BeyondPod would use?

UPDATE:

I've tried installing MX Player Pro and changing the BeyondPod settings to "use external player" and then restarting the device. But that didn't make any difference.

I should've also mentioned that some shows play fine at 1.5x in normal voices, just faster. But other shows do not. The problem is very consistent with specific feeds to the point that I think there is something to do with the file format that the specific feeds are recorded in. I also see that some of the shows that I listened to on previous devices would simply refuse to play at any speed other than 1x are now playing fine at different speeds with no chipmunking.
    Last edited by joeG; 03-16-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: additional info

BeyondPod Team
    I guess in that case, we'd need to know the specific device that you have, and the URLs of the feeds that are giving problems as the next step.

BeyondPod Team
    Hi

We've had a look at some of those files, and it seems that your device doesn't handle mono (single channel) audio terribly well.

One thing you could try is to try to force BeyondPod to use MPG 123 Player (This is a player we use for older ICS devices). You can force it in BeyondPod's advanced settings > Force Mpg 123 Player.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you may be out of luck as far as speed adjustment is concerned for those particular feeds on that particular device.

Julie

Thank you and sorry for the late reply. I tried the Mpg 123 Player setting as you suggested and that did the trick. Playback speeds work exactly as they should. Thank you!

BeyondPod Team
    Yay! Thanks for letting us know.

Julie