Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange numeric-suffixed episode names; incomplete update? (no log)

Strange numeric-suffixed episode names; incomplete update? (no log)

I have been using BP on my Samsung Galaxy S4 for a year or two now, and this problem happens occasionally of late. Sometimes, particularly on a Friday night / Sat. morning when there are several new episodes to download in some CBC podcasts I follow, I find that the episodes download, but are left with strange names that look like '<feed name> <one or two strings of digits>' rather than the actual episode title. For example, the Quirks & Quarks segmented podcast this week downloaded the expected 5 files, but instead of the usual episode titles describing the topics, they appear in the 'My Episodes' lists as 'quirks 20150313 72483', 'quirks 20150314 86168', etc. Similarly, the Wiretap episode downloaded as 'Wiretap from CBC Radio199112485'.

It's not always CBC podcasts, either. I remember seeing it happen with the Scientific American "60 second ..." podcasts as well. I can't swear to this, but when it happens, I think it happens to all the episodes downloaded in that update session. That was certainly true this week.

Lately, I've tried opening the Update Log to see whether that might offer any hints ... but in both cases, what opened up was the log from the previous night -- as if this night's update had never happened. But clearly it did, because those episodes weren't there when I went to bed. Could it be that the update process was terminated before the episode titles could be extracted and before the log could be generated or saved?

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Is there any additional diagnostic information I could gather to help?

Thanks.

-- Damian

BeyondPod Team
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What I think you're seeing are "orphaned" episodes - i.e. those that have been downloaded to the feed's folder, but have somehow become disconnected from the feed. The extra characters in the filename are what you get if the feed has Force Unique Names ticked in the feed settings. (This is useful if the feed publisher doesn't make the titles of the episodes unique anyway - and not all do - so it's the default setting.) However, normally, BeyondPod will get the episode title from the feed, not from the file itself. It only shows the file name if it hasn't got a connection between the feed and the downloaded episode.

Your theory that the update is not completing successfully may be correct, but I think the log gets updated "real time", so I would expect to at least find an incomplete update log - unless it's simply unable to write to the drive, e.g. due to drive corruption (which may be part of the underlying problem, of course).

*IF* you spot it quickly enough after the update, an Android Log may help to identify what's happened. BUT the log is shared by ALL Android processes, so unless your updates are scheduled for just before you wake up (as mine are), AND you spot the problem immediately, there's a good chance that anything useful will long since have been overwritten. Here's how to send an Android log

Julie

re

Hi, same is happening here.
    pls see attached update log. regards

Code:
    /storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/beyondpod.db.autobak
    03/03/15 19:08:43: SchedulingService (4.0.32) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    03/03/15 19:13:45: MasterView (4.1.27) - BeyondPod upgraded from v40032 to v40127
    03/03/15 19:13:45: ScheduledTasksManager (4.1.27) - Rescheduling all active scheduled tasks...
    03/03/15 19:13:45: ScheduledTasksManager (4.1.27) - Scheduled 1 of 1 active tasks.
    03/03/15 19:14:10: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    03/03/15 19:14:12: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    03/03/15 19:14:12: SQLRepositoryStorage (4.1.27) - Feed Database not found, Trying to load from a SQL backup: /storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/beyondpod.db.autobak
    03/03/15 20:11:06: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    03/03/15 21:12:08: DownloadHolderService (4.1.27) - Terminating an IDLE Download Holder service...
    05/03/15 01:02:19: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    05/03/15 01:34:02: DownloadHolderService (4.1.27) - Terminating an IDLE Download Holder service...
    06/03/15 01:03:49: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    07/03/15 01:21:19: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    07/03/15 01:33:39: DownloadHolderService (4.1.27) - Download Service - the repository failed to load! Giving Up!
    14/03/15 07:50:47: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    14/03/15 07:50:49: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    14/03/15 07:50:49: SQLRepositoryStorage (4.1.27) - Feed Database not found, Trying to load from a SQL backup: /storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/beyondpod.db.autobak
    14/03/15 07:50:49: PlayList (4.1.27) - !!! Playlist track: /storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/Podcasts/TSF Frum TSF Podcast/TSF Frum TSF Podcast-1424366242.mp3 was not found in the repository! Ignoring...
    14/03/15 07:51:08: MasterView (4.1.27) - Detected that Android has lost our update schedule, Restoring...
    14/03/15 07:51:08: ScheduledTasksManager (4.1.27) - Rescheduling all active scheduled tasks...
    14/03/15 07:51:08: ScheduledTasksManager (4.1.27) - Scheduled 1 of 1 active tasks.
    14/03/15 08:40:52: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    14/03/15 08:40:54: DatabaseHelper (4.1.27) - BeyondPod database file DOES NOT EXIST!
    14/03/15 08:40:54: SQLRepositoryStorage (4.1.27) - Feed Database not found, Trying to load from a SQL backup: /storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/beyondpod.db.autobak
    14/03/15 09:18:29: EnclosureDownloadManager (4.1.27) - >> Received TerminatinateAllDownloads command
    16/03/15 07:09:31: EnclosureDownloadManager (4.1.27) - >> Received TerminatinateAllDownloads command
    17/03/15 00:33:25: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    17/03/15 01:22:21: DownloadHolderService (4.1.27) - Terminating an IDLE Download Holder service...
    18/03/15 00:03:48: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    19/03/15 03:19:37: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...
    20/03/15 03:04:15: SchedulingService (4.1.27) - Scheduling service was started without an intent! Exiting...

Hey Julie,

It happened again the last 2 nights. Unfortunately, when I open the Android log it seems to contain only events since I opened BeyondPod -- usually a couple hours after the nightly update runs -- so it doesn't describe what might have happened during that update. Is there an older log somewhere I might be able to capture?

FWIW, this log does have some rather suspicious runtime errors (e.g. could not find method android.app.Notification$Builder.setVisibility; unable to resolve virtual method 297; VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e; etc. But they are timestamped from when I opened the app just now, not anywhere near the time of the update. Would uninstall/reinstall be worth trying?

I can tell you that, despite episodes being downloaded (with these number-suffixed names) both last night and the night before, the View Update Log operation (showing the log with multiple colors and rich text headings) shows a log from 3 days ago -- i.e., the last run that didn't have this problem. That suggests to me that when the problem happens, a proper update log is not written ... at least, not where "view update log" looks for it. Maybe it is written to a temp file and never renamed?

The Sync log (BeyondPodSyncLog.txt) has one line for every day, both the ones that completed successfully and those that left misnamed episodes. Each line looks like "--- Starting Episode Sync: Tue Mar 24 05:01:16 EDT 2015 ---". I see no record of "ending sync" or anything like that ... am I supposed to?

If there are other log files etc. I can capture, and you can tell me in which directory to find them, I'll be happy to dig those up.

BeyondPod Team
    The Android log is shared with all Android processes, so only contains "recent" actions, where recent is affected by how much other stuff is happening on your device. However, for security reasons, each app can only access its own log records.

One thing you could try is to tick the Enable Logging box right near the bottom of BeyondPod's Advanced settings. This will make BeyondPod save your last 10 update logs, rather than just the last one, and you'll be able to see them all (and their date/time stamps) from View Logs | View Update logs. Another possibility is to check the BeyondPod log, which is not shared (but is also less detailed).

Apart from that, the best way to capture the information in the Android log will be to reschedule your updates to be later in the morning - just before you wake up - so that there hasn't been as much time (and other activity) between the update and you looking at the log.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    @sorh That looks like a BeyondPod log, not an Update log (and I'm told that its contents look perfectly normal, despite appearing somewhat scary).

@dlosisek One thing you could try is to delete the feed, re-add it and do a manual update to download the latest episodes (or just do a manual update without deleting and re-adding) - if it consistently fails, it should fail then too, so then the Android log will have relevant data.

I know the problem is intermittent, so one option might be to try the update manually after you see one fail. You might want to save the Android log before you try though, rather than overwrite it with something that turns out to work (assuming your subsequent manual update DOES work - if it does fail, we'll collect all the logs we need in one go, but intermittent problems aren't usually that obiliging!)

Julie

re

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your feedback.
    Meanwhile i've tried a lot of things unsuccesfuly.
    I've already delete all podcasts and re-add feeds, uninstall beyoundpod and reinstall, mess around with the update options and nothing seem to work..
    It's frustrating because only affects scheduled updates.
    Manual updates are always successful.

Maybe a problem with my new phone? (Lg g3s)
    I'm not new to beyoundpod and never had problems on my old phone with this settings.

Thank you in advance. Regards.

BeyondPod Team
    In that case, I guess the only options to try to track down what's happening are going to be to enable logging (to get more than one Update log - and be able to see which ones you do and don't get), and to make your scheduled updates happen as late as possible in the morning before you get up, in the hope that you may be able to capture some useful information from the failing scheduled updates in the Android log, before it gets overwritten by other stuff.

Since dlosisek is using a Galaxy S4, it doesn't look as though it's device specific.

Julie

Hello again,
    I'll try to detail this as much as I can.
    As I've mentioned before it's a random issue and sometimes it updates well so it's difficult to find it but today I force it to happen by deleting the episodes and scheduling the update again.

Until now there's some facts I found:

It fails on scheduled updates only, manual updating works fine.
    Doesn't matter if you set it to update on the next 5 minutes or 12 hours from now.
    It has nothing to do with update options, like 'wifi only' or 'on charge'
    It fails even with 'keep screen on" enabled on advanced options.
    It fails even if phone is wake up and being used.

please take a look at the screenshots and files attached.
    I hope you can reach a solution. regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

BeyondPod Team
    @sorh

To determine what's happening, we really need to get an Android log of the problem happening (as per my last post).

Julie