Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strange numeric-suffixed episode names; incomplete update? (no log)

Ok, I guess the mistery is solved.

For the last 4 days every update was fine and the names were right too.

My initial configuration for all feeds was to keep the last 3 episodes and download the latest one.
    Because this takes a lot of space on the externalSD a few days ago I've changed it to download only the latest, keep it for as long as possible and only delete it after played.

Somehow it has solved my issues

BeyondPod Team
    I guess it's just possible that the download was sometimes failing due to lack of space on the SD card.

Here I am again..
    It worked well for some time but the issues came back later.
    Hopefully I found where the problem is but I'm unable to fix it.
    I've seen the app unload itself while updating and thats why the episodes get corrupted with that strange numeric format.
    Is there any way to keep the app in memory and prevent it from unloading?
    Cheers

BeyondPod Team
    BP wouldn't be unloading itself. Android will kick it out of memory if it thinks it needs the memory for something else, so (other than switching to a device with more RAM) the only option is to prevent other apps from starting and kicking it out of memory while it's in mid-update. BeyondPod does its best to ask Android not to kick it out of memory, but if Android decides to close an app, there's nothing the app can do about it.

One possible solution might be to schedule updates for the middle of the night when your phone's not doing anything else significant.

Julie

Haven't posted for a while ... hope this doesn't jinx me. For what it's worth, my Galaxy S4 (on Verizon) got upgraded to Lollipop a month or two ago, and I haven't seen this problem since.

Ouch! My Verizon S4 Mini is still on 4.4.2. Lollipop killed my N7's performance, though, so perhaps I'm better off.

Exclamation Same problem

I am having this exact same problem, it is 2018 but it still haunts beyondPod, I am not sure what should I do about it. My phone has 16Gb total and 8.3Gb of FREE space, also the update is sheduled to 5:30AM so it is not a free space or free memory issue, I believe. Any ideas?

It is happening with may of my podcasts not a specific one.

One important detail is that when I see the feed for that podcast if I chose the option "see my episodes" (Fig.1) it appears with the strange numbers, but if I choose the "all published episodes" (Fig.2) view they appear with the right full episode name.

Screenshot_20180904-121805.jpg Fig.1
    Screenshot_20180904-122005.jpg Fig.2

Interesting to see tadeu_fo's post. This problem started happening to me again a month or so ago, iirc. It might have appeared around the time of an update to my Samsung S7. FWIW, I'm now running Android v8.0.0, and kernel v3.18.71 dated 7/19/18.

It is quite intermittent this time around -- maybe 1 in 10 episodes? -- and as before, only when they come in on a scheduled download, never on a manual one. I confess I may be skewing the probability in my favor, because if I happen to be up at 6am, I often do a manual download and scoop up the new episodes before the scheduled update has a chance to kick in.

This time around, it seems to hit only on one or two podcasts (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and occasionally 60 Second Science). This is different than my most common case (Quirks & Quarks Segmented) back in 2015. No clue why some casts are more prone to the glitch than others.

Last time around, I noticed that the updates that showed this problem also failed to generate an update log. I suspected that the update process was terminated prematurely, and missed some final operations to patch in the correct episode titles and generate the log. Haven't checked whether that's true this time around ... I'll watch for it on the next recurrence, and try to avoid jumping the gun with manual updates.

Quote Originally Posted by dlosisek View Post
    It is quite intermittent this time around -- maybe 1 in 10 episodes? -- and as before, only when they come in on a scheduled download, never on a manual one.
    I am seeing the same behavior. Google Pixel 2, Android 9 (Pie), BeyondPod 4.2.30.

Mine is more frequent than 1 in 10, but it's still inconsistent. And it's always items that were downloaded as a scheduled download.

I listen to a number of "serial" podcasts, where getting an item out of order is annoying. As of yesterday, I've turned off scheduled downloads until this gets figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matosawitko View Post
    I am seeing the same behavior. Google Pixel 2, Android 9 (Pie), BeyondPod 4.2.30.

Mine is more frequent than 1 in 10, but it's still inconsistent. And it's always items that were downloaded as a scheduled download.

I listen to a number of "serial" podcasts, where getting an item out of order is annoying. As of yesterday, I've turned off scheduled downloads until this gets figured out.
    I'm on a Google Pixel 3, Android 9, Beyond Pod 4.2.41. I also have this problem. I've turned off scheduled downloads as well. Any fix would be much appreciated.