Thread: Update Failure - Recent Occurance/ICS upgrade.

Question Update Failure - Recent Occurance/ICS upgrade.

Stefank, I hope all is well my man. I'm pretty happy with how things are moving along here, functionality is coming back, and usability is getting better.

Now to my issue. I'm running .19, and this has been happening for several versions now. I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Tab to CM9 (dear god why would I do this?), the one you've seen installed in my car dashboard in my vehicle. Performance has been great, and most of the bugs are out of it now, but for some reason, no matter what settings I'm using, BeyondPod will NOT do a scheduled update properly.

The error I'm getting is about the connection. I never had this problem with it before in Gingerbread, but I'm not sure if some change in ICS is causing this to happen.

I have it set to Toggle Wifi on update

I've tried mobile data ON (even though i don't have a mobile plan on this device).

I've tried Screen Off for updates and Automatic for updates. ON has not been tried, but it isn't an option, as I can't have this screen turning on for an update when it is parked at a hotel or at a parking lot when I'm at the club getting my dance on... Anyways, I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at here.

Here's the error. (I just set it up in the living room to try to update while unplugged, to get the error for you)

Feed update Details

Failed - Matt Darey - Nocturnal Podcast

- Url: http://www.nocturnalradio.org/podcast/nocturnal.xml
    - Downloaded: 0, starting at position:0 took 0mSec. at 0.00KB/Sec
    - Content Size: 0. Cache Size: 1035081
    - Content Date: Unknown. Cache Date: Sat Jun 09 09:52:09 MDT 2012
    - Feed has image: Yes, image downloaded: Yes
    - Content Compression: Not Compressed
    - Reason to fail: UnableToEstablishNetworkConnectionException - Unable to establish Internet connection! Both Mobile and WiFi data connections are allowed!

Now the above error obviously is a BIT different depending on time, and what options I'm trying at the time, but I'd love to see if there is a way to get this fixed. I'll post the same error at XDA to see if they know what's going on, but I figured I'd come here first.

When I upgraded, I restored my backup of Beyondpod, so nothing has really changed there. I screwed up at one time with another update, and wiped my entire device, so I had to start over fresh, down to downloading all my podcasts again.

Hope you can point me in the right way.
    Owner - http://www.soulhamsters.com - Your home for R&D, parts specials, and community fun with fellow Kia Soul owners.
    Look me up on Xbox Live - TEH RED ZMAN

I'm running BP 2.90.21 on ICS (CM9) on my Nook Color, and this feed is reported as having no content. The update log looks clean, but BP thinks that the feed is empty. Firefox shows otherwise, however.

BeyondPod Team
    RED ZMAN,

My only guess is that the WiFi adapter has not fully awaken (it is On, but in a power save mode). On some devices the power state of the WiFi is tied to the screen, so unless the screen is on, WiFi remains asleep (this could be done either in hardware or part of how the ROM is codded). Often you can change this in the advanced WiFi settings (on ICS select WiFi in the Android Settings, then Menu > Advanced > Keep WiFi on during sleep).

BeyondPod Team
    Dennis,

Can you please post the feed URL you are talking about. I will take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    RED ZMAN,

My only guess is that the WiFi adapter has not fully awaken (it is On, but in a power save mode). On some devices the power state of the WiFi is tied to the screen, so unless the screen is on, WiFi remains asleep (this could be done either in hardware or part of how the ROM is codded). Often you can change this in the advanced WiFi settings (on ICS select WiFi in the Android Settings, then Menu > Advanced > Keep WiFi on during sleep).
    Thanks StefanK.

So you are thinking that this is because of a change from GB to ICS too? I'll check for this setting on my drive home tonight and report back in.

Are there any ETA's on updating the widgets to have some more controls/functionality? We had discussed it some time ago, and I hadn't heard again about it. I'm wondering if it would be easier to have widgets built by the members, I'm sure there are some developers that use your product, and use a plugin system for them. Somewhat similar to how PowerAmp has alternate widgets you can download on the market.

Thanks for the quick info my man.
    Owner - http://www.soulhamsters.com - Your home for R&D, parts specials, and community fun with fellow Kia Soul owners.

Did some testing today, and the setting you mentioned is already checked. This may mean that this setting isn't working.

I tested some other things, and beyondpod works with screen on, but that isn't acceptable in my case at all. I've tried setting up a Tasker profile to keep the screen brightness all the way to 0 when the update happens, but it seems that 0 is still pretty visible.

I'll get with the folks at XDA and get back to ya'll.