Thread: Pause and restart while screen is off?

Pause and restart while screen is off?

My phone: Moto Droid X2
    BeyondPod v 3.0.6

I've posted a similar post in General.

While playing, I can easily control volume with the physical side buttons with the screen locked off.

But I'd like to be able to find a way to quickly engage "pause" and "play" alternately, without fiddling around with a touchscreen.

The usual control buttons (Menu; Home; Back; Search) along the bottom front are physical - thankfully - not part of the touch-screen.

I want to stop ripping out my earbuds just to pay attention to something else going on suddenly.
    My old mp3 player has the external buttons for a quick pause in those moments.

If it's impossible to work this through the BP app, perhaps I can do it with the phone itself.

I've read elsewhere here that BP uses the phone's existing Player. Is that audio and video, or just the phone's video program? The audio player seems to be part of the BP app. I don't know.
    If not, is there an outside audio player I can download?

As with many phones, a quick tap on the power button will shut off the screen, and another will bring it back - but you have to do a touch-slide to bring back the previous working, or home screen.
    Is there a way to skip the security slide-on on this phone? I can't find it.

This could solve it for me, since the existing Player can be paused and restarted by just tapping anywhere on the screen while it is up.
    Screen-on push, then Player tap.
    Done in seconds without a glance. Would be nice.

Thank You in advance;
    Curt
    Last edited by curtisbusch; 04-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Is there a way to skip the security slide-on on this phone? I can't find it.
    if you are on ICS you should see this on the lockscreen.

But I don't think the Moto Droid X2 is going to be upgraded to ICS...
    Nexus 4| The L Preview | BP evo

paulroberts;

I responded in General as well.

You're right. I guess I don't have "ICS". The way your screen looks would be the ticket.
    I guess that's on newer phones and the upgrade is done in the factory?
    What does ICS stand for?

Thanks again;
    Curt

Ice cream sandwich, it's the next version of android, there's no official upgrade for my phone ether, i'm rooted and running a custom ROM.

I would have never guessed it.

Is it feasible for me to mess with a custom ROM? Or should I just relax and wait to get a newer phone/Android version?

Curt

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisbusch View Post
    Is it feasible for me to mess with a custom ROM? Or should I just relax and wait to get a newer phone/Android version?
    If chasing round circular references to how to do the next step, and winding up in the place you started, but still with a vital piece of information missing, then yes.

Or to put it another way, if you're not techy and don't actively enjoy tinkering with a device (I do, to a certain extent, and I still find myself going round in circles any time I think I might try custom ROMs), then just wait for your next upgrade.

Julie

there seem to be no ICS builds for the droid x2 at the moment, anyway. The CM7 maintainer was working on one but he's left it for now as he has college work.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/

Use Apps instead of Custom ROMs

There are lots of ways you can change the behaviour of your phone without installing Custom ROMs.

For instance you can install alternative Launchers (e.g. Nova Launcher - which has an ICS-like UI, or LauncherPro - which hasn't been updated for a while and looks more like Froyo/Gingerbread), and/or lock screen applications (e.g. WidgetLocker). I've never used WidgetLocker, but I've used LauncherPro for years, and have recently switched to Nova Launcher, which is being more actively maintained, and the paid version has all the features I liked in the paid version of LauncherPro.

There are also apps like Setting Profiles, Llama or Tasker which can react to changes in state on your phone, the time of day, and all sorts of other things that you can use to automate the way your phone works. All can set different profiles according to rules (e.g. put the phone in silent mode at night; or reduce the ringer volume and change the ringtone to something discreet when your location shows you are at work, to give two simple examples).
    So you could set a rule in any of them to automatically start BP when you plug in your headphones.

I've used all of them. Setting Profiles is easier for the non-techie to get to grips with; Tasker is, in general, more powerful, but it's way less obvious how to get started with it; Llama is the most simplistic, and I didn't stick with it for long.

All of the above (except Llama) are paid apps (although I have linked to the lite/free version where one is available. These are generally either time- or function-restricted, but allow you to get a feel for the application before you part with your money).

Julie

Thanks again everyone.

Well, I'm holding on to my phone 'til the fall. And if an upgrade happens, fine. If not, that's fine too.

The app angle makes the most sense right now. And I'm glad to get all those suggestions. My son and I and our friends 'trade' apps all the time. It's good to go through stuff where people have already filtered out some of the garbage ones.
    I'll start at the bottom of your list and go up until I get annoyed.
    I had no idea that the phone platform can be so played with.
    From now on, anytime I get a headache or an idea, I'll see if someone already figured out an app first. Then see what users say about it.

Curt