Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Why isn't 4.1.31 in the Play Store yet?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    106

    Why isn't 4.1.31 in the Play Store yet?

    I've seen the Beta notifications from BeyondPod, but not from the Play Store 😢

  2. #2
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    We usually do beta versions as staged rollouts - first via BP itself (downloadable from the website), and later via the beta test group in the Play store. Sometimes, life gets in the way and extends the delay between one and the other.

    Julie

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    858
    Should there be a button on the About screen that checks for an update? I often see you say "Try this new beta" before BP announces that it's available, and frequently before the Beta page gets updated.

    Yeah, yeah, impatience, and I'm not complaining about the update rate, and I expect that some betas are intended to fix one thing for some minor but urgent reason that doesn't merit a general update.

  4. #4
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Checking for an update would only check the currently installed version against what's in the Play Store anyway. Or did you have something else in mind Dennis?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    858
    Oh! BP itself only checks the Play Store? I had ASSumed that it checked the beta download page or some similar web service that's easy to query. But I'd think that checking the Play Store is a simple API call, so that makes sense.

    I just looked through all the 'be a beta customer' instructions and it's rather out of date; it still asks whether you want the phone or tablet versions.

    In any case, I think that there ought to be a way to get to the Beta Download page directly from BP, with the version indicated, so it's trivial to check.

    I have no idea whether the Play Store thinks that either of my devices wants the beta version, I can't find an indication displayed by the Play Store other than version 4.1.27 found after drilling down, and I have 4.1.32 installed. I am a member of the beta group.

    I don't know how you have this all stitched together...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    Oh! BP itself only checks the Play Store?
    Your assumption is correct: the banner announcement that BP shows about a new Beta is based on the download page, not on the Play Store. That's exactly what led to my post: I've seen the in-app announcement for a couple of weeks I think, but no update in the Play Store yet.

    Google actively discourages this sort of update notification, because it's so easy to get in a situation where users see an update notification but no update is available: many apps have different APKs for different OS versions, screen sizes, etc. And unless the developer updates all of them at once every single time, it's very likely that for some users there is an update and for others there isn't. Getting all the logic right in the app is possible, but getting it "almost right" is easier :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    I have no idea whether the Play Store thinks that either of my devices wants the beta version
    The Play Store doesn't distinguish devices for beta versions. If you've joined the BeyondPod Beta Test group, the Play Store will update BP with Beta releases on all devices that are signed in to the account you joined the group with.

    This page looks right to me:

    http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/

  7. #7
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynch View Post
    Your assumption is correct: the banner announcement that BP shows about a new Beta is based on the download page, not on the Play Store. That's exactly what led to my post: I've seen the in-app announcement for a couple of weeks I think, but no update in the Play Store yet.

    Google actively discourages this sort of update notification, because it's so easy to get in a situation where users see an update notification but no update is available: many apps have different APKs for different OS versions, screen sizes, etc. And unless the developer updates all of them at once every single time, it's very likely that for some users there is an update and for others there isn't. Getting all the logic right in the app is possible, but getting it "almost right" is easier :-)
    BP only has one APK, so there's no issue with updating multiple versions. The banner you see in the app only appears if you tick the Advanced Setting saying you want to see it, and it checks the beta web page.

    Beta testing via the Play Store is a bit quirky, in that the Play Store version (and details) shown will always be for the released version of the app, regardless of whether you have signed up for beta testing via the Play Store.

    I don't know at what point things get compared, but your device will check the installed version of any app that you have installed against the (released or beta) version currently in the Play Store, and if the Play Store version is higher, you'll either get a prompt to update, or an automatic update, depending on the Play Store settings on your device.

    This page looks right to me:

    http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/
    It is (and that's the page you get to if you click on the Beta link from beyondpod.com). The reference to tablets is because tablets USED to have a different APK with a different ID and version numbering system; having both the (separate) tablet version and the universal version installed on the same device at once can cause all sorts of weirdness.

    As I said, adding to the beta test for the Play Store is a human process (one that I'm not personally involved with), and sometimes life just gets in the way of things happening as quickly as usual.

    Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 04-02-2015 at 11:36 AM.

  8. #8
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,033
    Our usual process for new Betas is: Post to Beta Page then after "some time" post to Play Store beta channel. The reason for the "some time" delay is that posting to Play Store beta, "pushes" it to all BETA users so if there is an issue it is more difficult to stop it. "Some time" gives us ...some time to discover the issue. "Some time usually varies between immediately (if only relatively small changes/bug fixes were done) or a few days (if something major was added or we switched to a new version of Android SDK/Support libraries as was the case with 4.1.31 ).

    4.1.31 got "stuck" in the BETA page due to Android Auto support. Here is the short story: After the BETA release we found that physical Auto head units can't see BeyondPod listed as an available app. After our Head unit arrived and spending considerable time trying get it to work I still could not get it to show up. I end up reaching to Google for help about this time last week through their Android Auto Community. They seemed to be eager to help initially, but after a few exchanges they went silent. I was hoping we can fix the issue and push to the Beta channel a fixed build but at this point we still don't know where is the issue. I seems like there is something they (Google) have to enable on their side, but the docs never bothered explaining what it is.

    I will wait a bit longer to see if Google responds and try to push 4.1.32 to both Beta page and Play Store Beta channel tomorrow (with or without Android Auto support).

    Stefan

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Beta testing via the Play Store is a bit quirky, in that the Play Store version (and details) shown will always be for the released version of the app, regardless of whether you have signed up for beta testing via the Play Store.
    I think what you say is true for the Web version of the Play Store, where in particular it says "Varies with device" about the version and size. The phone/tablet version of the Play Store shows the details for the latest version available to you, properly taking into account beta group membership etc.

    The automatic check for updates happens roughly once a day in the background, and you can manually make it check by opening My apps -> Installed. (You can force that to refresh by switching accounts.)

  10. #10
    BeyondPod Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynch View Post
    I think what you say is true for the Web version of the Play Store, where in particular it says "Varies with device" about the version and size. The phone/tablet version of the Play Store shows the details for the latest version available to you, properly taking into account beta group membership etc.
    That's not my experience, as evidenced by the screenshots taken just now on my Xperia Z3c



    The automatic check for updates happens roughly once a day in the background, and you can manually make it check by opening My apps -> Installed. (You can force that to refresh by switching accounts.)
    Thanks for that info.

    Julie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •