Thread: Appending new episodes to default playlist?

Appending new episodes to default playlist?

I'm using BeyondPod 4.1.27, and I'd like to set it so that it monitors my subscribed feeds, downloads any new episodes and appends them automatically to the default playlist. I haven't been able to find any way to arrange this. Here are my settings:

Episode Handling: Download Latest Episodes

Episode Download: 1 episode

Cleanup: Keep at Least Last 1 episode; delete older than 7 days

Automatic Playlist: (no) (I've also tried yes)

Auto Rebuild SmartPlay: (no)

Remove Played from Playlist: (yes)

Automatic Updates: On, 12 p.m. daily

The resulting behavior is that new episodes are detected and downloaded, but they're not added to my default (and only) playlist -- I have to monitor each feed by hand and add new episodes to the playlist myself. If I check the settings for each individual feed, they're marked "Download latest 1 episode and keep at most 1 episode," which seems correct. The Google Play Store confirms that I have the BeyondPod Unlock Key installed. What am I doing wrong? I tried writing directly to BeyondPod about this, but they never responded. Thanks.

I have Smartplay set up to do that, but can't for the life of me remember how I set it up 😕
    No doubt someone with better memory will be along soon

Look in Settings/Playlist Settings, and tick the Auto Rebuild SmartPlay checkbox.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You need a single SmartPlay rule:
    Start With
    Oldest
    50 episodes
    Category: All feeds

Alternatively, if you have Automatic Playlist ticked in the Playlist Settings, you can simply view All Feeds to see all your episodes, and start playing the first one. The rest will automatically follow

Julie

Thanks, but this deletes the existing list each time I select an episode. I want to maintain the list but append the new downloads.

Thanks, Julie, but this doesn't seem to work. I set up the SmartPlay rule you describe, but new episodes aren't being added to the playlist -- they're downloaded, and I can see them in the listings, but they don't appear on the playlist; I still have to add them by hand. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate your help.

Greg

BeyondPod Team
    Are you looking at the SmartPlay playlist, or your manual one? (Drag the playlist down a little so that you can see the heading.)

Do you have Auto Rebuild SmartPlay ticked in the Playlist Settings?

Julie

Thanks, Julie. I can't quite tell -- it's labeled only "Default Playlist." But at the bottom of the screen I see "+ Add SmartPlay," so I guess it's a SmartPlay list? (If I edit Default Playlist I see Oldest / 50 episodes / Category: All feeds, as you recommended.)

I've tried ticking Auto Rebuild SmartPlay in the settings, but that deletes the entire list each time a new show is downloaded (right?). What I want is a manually managed list to which new episodes are automatically appended. Is this possible? Thanks again for your help.

Greg

BeyondPod Team
    Well, yes, if you have Auto Rebuild SmartPlay ticked in the player settings, it'll delete the list every time you download new episodes, but it'll rebuild it again with all the same episodes in the list in the same order again, because chronological order is still chronological order, and your oldest episodes will therefore still be first in the brand new playlist.

If you want to automatically add to the end of a manually managed list, then that's not currently possible, and probably won't be implemented any time soon, I'm afraid. However, if you don't have a large number of new episodes each day (i.e. six or less), you could use "What's new" to manually add them to your playlist.

If you just want to keep your current, part-played episode first in your playlist, there's an option to do that ("Keep current episode") in the Playlist Settings.

You may get a partial solution to your request (i.e. an automatic SmartPlay list PLUS a separate manually-managed list in a future version of BP (via a special type of "Manual" SmartPlay list, which would allow you to create a manually constructed playlist that doesn't get overwritten by any other SmartPlay lists), but that - by definition - won't have any rules, so you'd need to first play your manual playlist, and then play your SmartPlay list (which will by then only include episodes that are newer than the ones you'd added to your manual playlist and haven't yet been played).

HTH.

Julie