Thread: 4.1.41 drains battery and a lot of wakelocks

4.1.41 drains battery and a lot of wakelocks

Since BP beta 4.1.41 I have massive battery problems. After listening to podcasts and with BP beta still running in the background the phone (LG Optimus G, Kitkat 4.4.2) gets very hot, the displays turns on by itself even when I try to turn it of manually. Yesterday morning the battery was down to 6% overnight.

I have used Wakelock Detector to check what program causes this behaviour and found that BP Beta has a lot of wakelocks.
    When I force quit BP beta all the problems are gone. That's what I do after every listening now.

Is this a known problem?

Attachment 608
    Attachment 609

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It's not a problem I'm seeing with 4.1.42 on Lollipop. (BTW, your attachments are reported to be Invalid, even to a moderator.)

Certainly in ICS and Jellybean, the Wakelock was necessary for playing any media, and as far as I am aware, despite rumours at the time, nothing has changed in KitKat / Lollipop. Here's a copy of a post from another thread about Wakelocks from some time ago:
    As far as Android and Media Players, for now Wake Locks can't be avoided. If you don't get a Wake Lock during playback the playback will randomly stop when the whole device goes to sleep. This has been the case since the early days of Android, but may change in the future (it is rumored that next version of Android 4.2 will focus on optimizing power management - similar to the way Jelly Bean focused on the smoothness of the UI).
    BeyondPod doesn't have its own player - it uses the built in media player from your device's OS - so it seems unlikely that it's a change in BeyondPod that is making a difference here. Has anything else changed?

Julie

I have turned off EpisodeSync and the wakelocks are gone.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    If you still want to use EpisodeSync, try uninstalling and reinstalling, as above.

Julie