Thread: 4.1.41 bugs

4.1.41 bugs

I will concur with some of you on another post with your but reports but i have a few more. I'm on an LG G3 running 5.01.

Random stopages for no reason which is a brand new problem for me within the last two days or so.

Forgetting last stopping place by seconds to 30 minutes especially on reboots or a rare crash

A bug I just discovered, in feed advanced settings. I can't change any settings such as volume boost or preferred playback Speed. I get s wacky error message telling me I can't have more episodes to download than I have on the device or something to that effect. This doesn't happen in every feed either. Even if I back out of the settings and double check that i dont have unknown episodes to download by making all read and than clearing played status on unread podcasts. I still get that message.

Never been able to recover old downloads when reinstalling or putting a new rom on.

Haven't been able to successfully operate from the SD card since maybe Jelly Bean.

Not convinced that speed control is always working properly. Some podcasts sure seem to be long and normal speaking rate. I always listen at 1.3x

Recently some feeds suspiciously haven't had new episodes in weeks though I must admit I haven't checked the website to be sure that I have them all downloaded.

Thanks for your time & consideration looking into the issues and a great player overall. Been using it for several years.

BeyondPod Team
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrucker View Post
    Random stopages for no reason which is a brand new problem for me within the last two days or so.
    If Android kicks BeyondPod out of memory because it needs the RAM for some other app, there's nothing BeyondPod can do about it. It already does everything it can (without being utterly antisocial) to beg Android not to kill it, even when in the background.

My guess is that either you've installed (an) additional app(s) which is using some of the RAM that used to be available for running BP, meaning that BP gets kicked out more frequently, or that your apps in general have grown a little, and you've crossed a boundary between everything you need just fitting into the amount of RAM your device has, and the combination being just that little bit bigger, so something needs to get kicked out.

When I'm driving, I often have Google Maps and Glympse and BeyondPod running all at once. Recently, any time I ran maps, BeyondPod aborted (losing its playback position, and jumping back further than it would have if closed down cleanly), and if I ran BeyondPod, Maps aborted, losing my route. I had to uninstall some new apps (luckily, nothing that I missed much anyway) which were contributing to the general background "always on" RAM usage, and having done that, everything went back to normal.

If you go to Running apps in your system settings, you may be surprised as some of the unlikely apps that are unnecessarily (IMHO) permanently consuming RAM.

Forgetting last stopping place by seconds to 30 minutes especially on reboots or a rare crash
    If Android kills BP, BP doesn't get a chance to save your current playback position. When it's running it does save the position periodically (but not TOO frequently for performance reasons), and when paused cleanly it always saves it. When BP gets killed, because it wasn't paused cleanly, you'll resume at whatever position was most recently automatically saved.

A bug I just discovered, in feed advanced settings. I can't change any settings such as volume boost or preferred playback Speed. I get s wacky error message telling me I can't have more episodes to download than I have on the device or something to that effect. This doesn't happen in every feed either. Even if I back out of the settings and double check that i dont have unknown episodes to download by making all read and than clearing played status on unread podcasts. I still get that message.
    I'm confused here. Is the error message about the number of downloads in direct response to you trying to change something? What version of BP are you running? We'll need some more detail to troubleshoot that one please. The message itself sounds like a very old message that used to be shown when reducing the number of episodes to be saved to a number lower than the number currently on your device, but BP now deletes any surplus anyway - although IIRC, it does warn you that it's going to have to delete them to comply with your new download and keep rules.

Never been able to recover old downloads when reinstalling or putting a new rom on.
    The procedure to completely backup and recover your settings and your downloaded episodes is the same as for moving BP to a new device

Haven't been able to successfully operate from the SD card since maybe Jelly Bean.
    KitKat introduced restrictions such that apps can only write to Google-defined application-specific folders on an SD card. See How to change the location of downloaded podcasts and My External Card has become Read Only after updating to KitKat for more details. I've always had my podcasts on my SD card, including on a Galaxy S3 with KitKat, and an Xperia Z3 compact on KitKat and Lollipop. Keeping them on the SD card when my S3 updated from Jelly Bean to KitKat simply involved moving them (using the process described in the link) to the correctly named folder on the SD card, and using a file manager to remove the old BeyondPod folder that Android would no longer let BP write to.

Not convinced that speed control is always working properly. Some podcasts sure seem to be long and normal speaking rate. I always listen at 1.3x
    If you can reproduce it and send a log of it occurring, we can investigate. Having said that, BeyondPod uses your device's built-in Android player (and speed adjustment will only work with downloaded episodes, not streaming ones), and simply requests the player to play at the requested speed. It may be that some devices have problems doing this with podcasts encoded in certain ways, since the manufacturers are all free to modify the player in any way they see fit.

Recently some feeds suspiciously haven't had new episodes in weeks though I must admit I haven't checked the website to be sure that I have them all downloaded.
    You can always paste any feed URL into your browser to see what's in the feed. Firefox (desktop and Android versions) format RSS feeds quite nicely for human readability.

Thanks for your time & consideration looking into the issues and a great player overall. Been using it for several years.
    Thanks

Some things to add. As for remembering it's stopped playback position, this isn't always related to a crash. Also happens when just pausing occasionally. Not a big deal but I'm assuming this is a high memory usage situation.

The odd error message doesn't even correspond to what's going on so yes it's a weird situation.

A far as the player randomly stopping, I've been known to have BP playing and opening Waze and Maps to check immediate traffic situations all at the same time with no effect on BP. So far this has been a rare bug but IMO it may be something related to only one or two of my feeds. I don't know enough about feeds or possibly file types to know for sure but I might investigate something in that neighborhood. That's just a hunch based on nothing intelligent so take that for what it's worth!

One last thing I forgot to bring up in my other long winded post. The back button has a different function depending on where you are in the app. If you're in a feed, hitting back will exit the app. Elsewhere it goes back one screen. Drives me crazy!

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletrucker View Post
    A far as the player randomly stopping, I've been known to have BP playing and opening Waze and Maps to check immediate traffic situations all at the same time with no effect on BP. So far this has been a rare bug but IMO it may be something related to only one or two of my feeds. I don't know enough about feeds or possibly file types to know for sure but I might investigate something in that neighborhood. That's just a hunch based on nothing intelligent so take that for what it's worth!
    Yes, it will depend on lots of things, but mostly a) how much RAM your device has, and b) what apps you have installed and (permanently or temporarily) running at the time. I probably just have more apps installed and with services running in the background than you. Or maybe you have more RAM available on your LG G3 than the 2GB in my Z3c. (If you've got the 32GB version, you've got 3GB RAM, but even with the 16GB version, you've got 2GB, the same as me, and probably fewer other apps running. Or maybe Waze uses less RAM than Glympse.)

It's highly unlikely to be feed-related, and much more likely to be RAM load-related (i.e. how many apps need RAM right now). Unfortunately, if BP gets kicked out, all the log will show is that Android killed us. If things are very tight, I've known something as simple as an incoming notification to be enough to tip things over. As I said, BP can't control this. Android controls it.

One last thing I forgot to bring up in my other long winded post. The back button has a different function depending on where you are in the app. If you're in a feed, hitting back will exit the app. Elsewhere it goes back one screen. Drives me crazy!
    It behaves as Google says it should, according to their recent Google guidelines. There is a "home" page in the app, which you can set in General Settings | Home Screen to be Default, Feed List or Player.
    Wherever you are, one press of the back button takes you to the "home" page; a second press takes you out of the app.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 07-01-2015 at 12:20 PM.