Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can only download episodes manually

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Have you tried beta version 4.1.47 yet?

Yes please see post #8. I sent my log files too.

BeyondPod Team
    Post #8 didn't mention which version you were using, but I'll chase up the logs

OK. Yes I have 4.1.47. It is no longer downloading episodes. The first time it just downloaded those random episodes as I mentioned.

BeyondPod Team
    norbert,

After looking at the log you sent, I think the problem may have to do with your episode cleanup settings - from what I can see, the feed is currently set to automatically delete episodes older than 5 days. The 5 days are from the date episode was published (e.g the "Publish Date" that the publisher has assigned to the episode in the feed) so in essence any episode published more than 5 days ago will be automatically deleted before any new episode can be downloaded.

If your automatic download downloads multiple episodes (and in your case it is set to download the last 20) before each new download BeyondPod will run a cleanup pass. This cleanup pass will remove any episodes published more than 5 days ago (even if they were downloaded a few seconds ago). I think that you don't see the new episodes because they are being downloaded but deleted when the next episode downloads.

I think that if you just set the "Delete episodes older than" in "The BOB&TOM VIP Podcast" Cleanup settings to something large (I think default is 99999 days) you should be set.

Stefan

I've discovered a fix. Under "download episodes" instead of "download latest episodes", I changed it to "download episodes in order." Now they download when I update. It doesn't seem logical to me.

BeyondPod Team
    That's because the logic is different for Download Latest vs Download in Order.

With download in order, it won't download any more until you've deleted the old ones (this logic is intended for things like books or courses, where you have to start at the beginning and move forward).

With download latest, it'll keep the x most recent episodes (as per your settings) and throw away the oldest ones (intended for things like news feeds that you can dip into anywhere without having to have played the earlier episodes, where there's often not much point keeping episodes that are already out of date - you get to define "out of date" for the feed in your feed settings). However, this too will only move forwards chronologically, so once you've downloaded and deleted an episode, it'll never get downloaded again unless you manually mark it as Unplayed.

There's a fuller explanation of how the two variations work in the Episode Download Logic help page.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 08-13-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: More detail added

That is logical and I understand. What I don't understand is why it won't download when it is set to download latest episodes. But this is a workaround.

BeyondPod Team
    My only guess is that if the update happens 5 days after the episode was released (for example based on "update once a week" schedule) OR if the published date of the new episodes is in the past for some reason (incorrect Published Dates happen occasionally based on how publisher prepares their episodes - dates sometimes are off).

BeyondPod Team
    BeyondPod keeps a history of episodes that it has downloaded, so won't try to download episodes that it knows it has already downloaded.

So, for recent podcasts, it will know that it's already downloaded them (even though it would have immediately deleted them because of your settings). So it won't download any more episodes (using Download Latest) until there more new ones are published since you changed your settings to keep at least as many episodes as you download.

HTH
    Julie