Thread: Moving storage to external SD card broken

Moving storage to external SD card broken

BeyondPod Beta (current), but also applied to release version (current).
    Android 5.0 on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T
    Internal 32GB on /storage/emulated/0/
    External 64GB on /mnt/extSdCard

When I elect to move the application successfully moves all the files to /mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts

This means I do not have the read-only sd problem. BP moves the files, and takes some time moving them, which is expected for 6GB of files. I have verified the move separately, multiple times.

When I again access the local store settings it again reads the default /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts, and the subsequent downloads go to the internal location. It is as though I did not move the files. The files that were moved now sit abandoned on the external sd card, untouched and unused.

Also, all the podcast channels lose their downloaded podcast images.

This is killing my phone's space with something that should stayed set to the external sd card.

Surely I'm not the only one encountering the problem? I have been using BP for several years (2009?), and have usually moved the storage location to the external SD card since the option became available. Why has it stopped working?

Thanks!
    Scot Harkins

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi Scott

One thing that happens to me (Sony Z3c) is that the whole SD card occasionally goes "read only" - or at least, Android thinks it has - at which point BP starts complaining that it can't write to the card.

In that case, rebooting the phone is the easiest way to make Android have another think about the card being writable.

However, in general:
    • Immediately after you move the files, where does BeyondPod say your episodes are (General | Podcast Download folder)?
    • What is the current value in Advanced Settings | Episode Download path? Have you manually set a value there? (You shouldn't need to any more, but you used to have to, and a clash might be confusing BP.)
    • Is Lock to Current Path ticked in Advanced Settings? (It should be. If it's not, and you reboot your phone, BP may revert to internal storage if the SD card hasn't been mounted by the time BP has autostarted, because it won't wait for it.)

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "When I again access the local store settings it again reads the default /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts"?
    After the move does a folder exist called /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod (check with a file manager). BP may use that folder if it exists, so after the move, make sure it has been entirely deleted.

Julie

Yep, already eliminated the read only card problem. I've rebooted lots of times twixt my first time experiencing the problem (May) and now, and have made three attempts, two on release versions (22 May, 02 July) and one on beta (01 Aug).

I should probably have structured my original post differently since I answered your first question at the outset. I will re-format here and answer the two further questions:

1. Immediately after you move the files, where does BeyondPod say your episodes are (General | Podcast Download folder)?
      /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts
    2. What is the current value in Advanced Settings | Episode Download path? Have you manually set a value there? (You shouldn't need to any more, but you used to have to, and a clash might be confusing BP.)
      Blank.
    3. Is Lock to Current Path ticked in Advanced Settings? (It should be. If it's not, and you reboot your phone, BP may revert to internal storage if the SD card hasn't been mounted by the time BP has autostarted, because it won't wait for it.)
      No, not locked.

• I manually entered the destination path in "Advanced | Podcast Storage Location | Episode Download Path", setting it to /mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod.
    • The same move dialog popped up and moved the files, but in fact seemed to merge them with the previously-moved 6GB tree. I know this because I tried moving it back to the phone but was stopped for insufficient space.
    • Once the move was complete BeyondPod restarted, showing all the podcasts as hoped.
    • "Advanced | Podcast Storage Location | Episode Download Path" now reads "/mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files" (less the BeyondPod included in my pasted destination).
    • "Lock to Current Path" was also set.

So, to recap:
    • On a clean install (not pristine) I use the preferred "General Settings | Podcast Download Folder" function.
    • The routine moves the files.
    • Upon app restart I find "General Settings | Podcast Download Folder" reading the default "/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts".
      This should answer "Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "When I again access the local store settings it again reads the default /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts?"
    • Also, podcast images are lost, and subsequent updates go to the default folder.
    • Under "Advanced | Podcast Storage Location | Episode Download Path" the setting is blank.
    • "Advanced | Podcast Storage Location | Lock to Current Path" is NOT checked.
    • If I use the "Advanced | Podcast Storage Location | Episode Download Path" method the files are moved and the lock is checked.
    • Conclusion: the "General Settings | Podcast Download Folder" method appears to be broken after the move-files step.
    • BTW, yes, /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod remains in place. I would assume that the automated process from General would also take care of this problem.

This is not quite a clean debug path, but I am confident about the General method being faulty. I am game to back up my subscribed podcast list (minus actual podcast audio files) and try this with a pristine install and a limited dataset.
    • I would clear off the files on internal and external.
    • I would install the app, subscribe to a few podcasts, then try to move them.

Ugh...still an ugly story format, but my time is limited. Long and short is that for me the automated move process is broken, failing to lock in the move after actually moving the files, and failing to clean up the original internal directory.

BeyondPod Team
    One thing that is happening on some deices is that after the move, BeyondPod does not restart correctly so for this very first start is still shows cached old data. Can you try this - do a move then just reboot your device.

In order for BeyondPod to use the the external SD card there are 3 things that need to be set:

1. BeyondPod folder has to be ONLY the external SD card (there should not be one on the internal - only external). You can try to manually move everything from the internal sd (/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod) to the external card to the external (/mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod).
    2. In Advanced Settings > "Episode Download Path" must be "/mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files"
    3. Check the description under Advanced Settings > "Lock to current path". It has to list the path you want (e.g. /mnt/extSdCard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files) and has to be checked.

"Move files" attempts to do all those things internally, but for some reason on your device it can't finish. My guess is that it is the final restart is the one that fails so all settings are set but BeyondPod was not restarted to use them.