Thread: EpisodeSync Triggering Enahncement

EpisodeSync Triggering Enahncement

I'd like to see a button on the Episode Playing screen, like the selection for car mode, that would issue the refresh for episodesync data at the time of the button press. In addition, I'd like to see an intent available for EpisodeSync which can be triggered through Tasker to cause an update.

I'm using and Android based head unit in my vehicle I am trying to figure out how to keep the head unit and my phone sync'd for play positions. The head unit turns off when the vehicle is turned off, so I'd like to have a button to press to sync right before I turn off the car. By the same token, I'd like then to trigger my phone to automatically resync once it recognizes the BT connection to the vehicle no longer exists.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Grizliez View Post
    I'd like to see a button on the Episode Playing screen, like the selection for car mode, that would issue the refresh for episodesync data at the time of the button press. In addition, I'd like to see an intent available for EpisodeSync which can be triggered through Tasker to cause an update.
    Your device will send an update to the servers every time you hit the Play/Pause button (and periodically during playback).
    In terms of retrieving updates, that happens as soon as BP is started (including in the background when you restart your device).

There should never be any need to "force" a synchronisation.

I'm using and Android based head unit in my vehicle I am trying to figure out how to keep the head unit and my phone sync'd for play positions. The head unit turns off when the vehicle is turned off, so I'd like to have a button to press to sync right before I turn off the car. By the same token, I'd like then to trigger my phone to automatically resync once it recognizes the BT connection to the vehicle no longer exists.
    As above - you already have one in your car: The Pause button. Obviously, you need to give it enough time after pressing pause and before you switch off the car to have time to send the current position to the servers (assuming the car has a network connection at the time, of course).

On your phone, it will sync when you start BP.

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    In terms of retrieving updates, that happens as soon as BP is started (including in the background when you restart your device).

There should never be any need to "force" a synchronisation.
    Is this still true with newer devices using Doze Mode?

I'm having trouble since having a new device and I suspect it's due to doze mode. I already excluded BeyondPod from Doze from the "battery optimization", but it didn't seem to fix my problem.

It looks to me as if the new device, while in Doze Mode, doesn't get the trigger to pull the updates from the server that the other device has stored. After the devices wakes up it doesn't seem to catch up with what it has missed. It then seems to only send it's own updates to the server, but not retrieve the "old" updates it had missed from the server.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Any update should be a two-way one, and starting up BP on the local device should trigger an update, so Doze mode shouldn't be a consideration (as the fact that it doesn't make any difference to exclude it from battery optimisation suggests).

The server only keeps update information for 2 weeks, so anything older than that won't get reflected in a sync anyway.

To troubleshoot, we'd need more information about your use pattern, and exactly what you're seeing.

Julie

I have the same concern with my new android head unit, I'll have to play with it and the version on my phone, and see if it does indeed work as the developers intended. I'll provide feedback for what I experience as well.

thanks!