Thread: Episode Download stalls

Episode Download stalls

Hi,

my last android device broke and I guess that some beyondpod database helper file got corrupted. I got a new device, put the SD card in there, and Beyondpod (current beta) picked up the feed list and existing episodes just fine.

However, updating feeds doesn't work. The RSS files get downloaded just fine, but episode download stalls right in the middle of downloading an episode, not necessarily the first one. The download process still appears in the status line and in the drawer, and it doesn't proceed. I kept one running over night with no results. The Update Log is obviously only written when an update process has successfully finished (it still shows the log from Sunday), and the BeyondPod Log doesn't have any more info other than the service was started.

Stopping the service gets rid of the status line icon. Beyond Pod will fail after stopping the service, but a subsequent start will fix things. A second feed update started shows the same behavior, but stalls at a different episode.

I didn't move the device after starting the download, it was connected to power and had a stable Wifi link.

What can I do to have new episodes downloaded and to help debugging this issue? Can I somehow look at the update log of the currently running update process?

Greetings
    Marc

You can see more details of the current update. Select a category or feed, then tap the two circley arrows to initiate an update. Then tap that icon again (while it's animated) and you'll get a progress view (which doesn't do dark mode: hint, hint) showing the update and download in progress. This view has a "stop" button at the bottom, which may make it easier to regain control of your device.

You can get the same view by tapping the notification, if you have update notifications enabled.

Good luck!

It just says like "Downloading 19 % of 9 KB, 9 more episodes left to download". The application sometimes gets irresponsive in this state, and tapping the notification only leads to the irresponsive App popping to the top. Since this also happens with the release version 4.1.44, this is not a beta issue, as I have noticed in the mean time.

Greetings
    Marc

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    When it gets in this state, please can you email an Android log to support, quoting this thread (or at the very least your forum name).

Ideally, if Dennis's suggestion works to regain control, send the log then.
    If not, you can Force Close the app from system Settings | Apps, and then send the Android log as soon as BP starts (noting that you've had to FC and restart to be able to send it).

Thanks
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    See also slightly more detail in this thread

Yes, I opened another thread in the "General" section because I could reproduce the issue with a non-beta version, making _this_ thread unsuitable for the Beta forum as this is not a Beta issue. With all due respect, it was wrong to "Close" the other thread.

Greetings
    Marc

Hi Julie,

which "this state" do you refer to? The stalled download or the competely hanging application that doesn't accept any more user interactions at all? Do you want me to reproduce this with the release version or the latest beta?

Greetings
    Marc

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Zugschlus View Post
    Yes, I opened another thread in the "General" section because I could reproduce the issue with a non-beta version, making _this_ thread unsuitable for the Beta forum as this is not a Beta issue. With all due respect, it was wrong to "Close" the other thread.
    That's fine. I can move this thread to the other forum. With all due respect, there's no point having two separate threads open on the same topic.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Zugschlus View Post
    which "this state" do you refer to? The stalled download or the competely hanging application that doesn't accept any more user interactions at all? Do you want me to reproduce this with the release version or the latest beta?
    My understanding from your description is that once the download stalls, the app becomes unresponsive.

But since we're troubleshooting the stalled download, please send a log once it has become clear that the download has stalled. Please reproduce it using the latest beta.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 08-27-2015 at 07:49 AM.