Thread: Chrome browser stops Beyondpod play

Chrome browser stops Beyondpod play

I'll search for something in search and then bring up Chrome browser and my playback in Beyondpod stops. How do I stop this behavior?

A common cause is that there isn't enough RAM on your device to keep both Chrome and BeyondPod in memory at the same time. Since Chrome is the foreground app it takes priority and BeyondPod gets thrown out. Perhaps you have too many apps installed that do things in the background while telling Android they're high priority processes.

In Settings -> Apps -> Running how much is shown as free there? Apps with running services have told the system that they are important and should be kept in memory.

I'll try this again as Android is really aggressive to booting out apps. Started my post to check free RAM and have about 300Mb free out of 2Gb RAM. I noticed in the RAM screen the Chrome app was already gone.

I have a new Moto X Play. I love the 3630mah battery. So nice to get 6+ hrs screen time with 10% left. I came from a Nexus 5 that also only had 2Gb RAM. Image how bad some of those 1Gb phones are.

I sometimes wondered if autoplay videos where on the web pages but never noticed any.

Writing this message was fine and had 8 tabs.

Afaik Chrome doesn't use services so it'll never show up in Settings -> Apps -> Running since when you see the list Chrome is no longer in the foreground and therefore doesn't count as a running app. The only app without services you'll ever see there is the Settings app itself.

300 MB free sounds really low. On my Nexus 6 I have System: 462MB, Apps: 385MB, Free: 2,1GB.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    @paulpoco It may be worth trying to clear cache in Chrome (or even in all your apps, which you can do by long pressing on the Cached Data entry in System Settings | Storage), although if this is a fairly new device, you shouldn't have accumulated too much data in cache which might be using up RAM.

On the other hand, it may not be the amount of available memory that's the issue, but rather the number of concurrent running apps. Samsung has recently been discovered to impose a limit of (6, I think) concurrent processes, so other manufacturers may well do the same in their versions of Android. Not quite so likely with a Motorola phone, as they don't tend to mess about with the OS as much as some of the others, but it's a possibility.

The bottom line is that short of uninstalling apps that run (unnecessarily) in the background, there's not a lot you can do.

Julie

Moto X Play has 2Gb RAM.

Jus looked at running apps.
    System. ~720Mb
    Apps. ~710Mb
    Free. ~511Mb

I used to have a Nexus 5 and don't remember the stuff I was typing in a forum post disappearing when I left Chrome to go somewhere else to get some info then go back to Chrome and the input box was gone.

I'd restart the device to see if it brings the System memory usage down. Not unheard of with memory leaks in the Android OS. Then I'd go through the list of apps with running services too see if there are any you don't really use starting with those with the biggest memory footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    I'd restart the device to see if it brings the System memory usage down. Not unheard of with memory leaks in the Android OS. Then I'd go through the list of apps with running services too see if there are any you don't really use starting with those with the biggest memory footprint.
    I cleared cache and restarted.

Now at
    System 700
    Apps 500
    Free. 700

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.