Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts still download to internal memory instead of external SD card

Podcasts still download to internal memory instead of external SD card

Podcasts still download to internal memory instead of external SD card?

I have changed the setting for files to download to my SD card, but no matter what new files are saved down to the local memory?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    As well as following the instructions at How to change the location of downloaded podcasts, please use a file viewer to make sure you don't have any other BeyondPod folders anywhere on your internal storage.

Julie

I've tried various steps including deleting folders. The app just recreates them on the local storage.

Any other options?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinm81 View Post
    I've tried various steps including deleting folders. The app just recreates them on the local storage.

Any other options?
    Try changing your SD card?

I haven't tried this but have observed that the beyondpod folders are recreated on the SD card. They just are not utilised. The local memory is used instead.

BeyondPod Team
    My reasoning is that if Android can't see / write to the SD card after you've gone through the steps to move your BP folders there, then BP will assume you don't have an SD card at all, and revert to using local storage.

Do you see your files being transferred during the process of moving to the SD card? You should get a progress bar as they're moved.
    Also, what path do you see getting created on the SD card?

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    My reasoning is that if Android can't see / write to the SD card after you've gone through the steps to move your BP folders there, then BP will assume you don't have an SD card at all, and revert to using local storage.

Do you see your files being transferred during the process of moving to the SD card? You should get a progress bar as they're moved.
    Also, what path do you see getting created on the SD card?

Julie
    It successfully moves existing files from local to external. However as soon as I download a new podcast, it saves it locally.

Solution

Quote Originally Posted by darrinm81 View Post
    It successfully moves existing files from local to external. However as soon as I download a new podcast, it saves it locally.
    I just had the same problem and found how to fix it (at least on my Samsung Note 4):
    1- Go to Settings
    2- Go to the 'Applications' tab
    3- Select 'Application manager'
    4- Go to 'SD card' tab. At this point, BeyondPod should appear selected to be on the SD card. If not, select 'Move to SD card'
    5- Select 'BeyondPod'
    6- Clear Cache (NOT DATA!!!)
    7- Go back to BeyondPod --> General Settings --> Podcast Download Folder and retry to change the location to the SD card.

I hope it works for you too.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dude40020 View Post
    1- Go to Settings
    2- Go to the 'Applications' tab
    3- Select 'Application manager'
    4- Go to 'SD card' tab. At this point, BeyondPod should appear selected to be on the SD card. If not, select 'Move to SD card'
    That's Android's way of moving the APPLICATION to the SD card (which means that due to Android limitations, you will no longer be able to use any widget for the app). Also, any time the app gets an update from the Play Store, it will revert back to being installed on internal storage.

Having said that, it may be a workaround to get Samsung phones to accept the change of destination for just the data (which SHOULD be totally under BP's control).

It would be interesting to see what happens if you try this, leave the app on the SD card for a while (at least for one feed update and a phone reboot), and then switch just the app back to internal memory, but leave the BeyondPod setting to use the external SD card. (NB: The path to the folder on external SD card should be .../Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts; if it doesn't include /Android/data/mobi.beyondpod with exactly that capitalisation, BP won't be able to write to it.)

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    That's Android's way of moving the APPLICATION to the SD card (which means that due to Android limitations, you will no longer be able to use any widget for the app). Also, any time the app gets an update from the Play Store, it will revert back to being installed on internal storage.

Having said that, it may be a workaround to get Samsung phones to accept the change of destination for just the data (which SHOULD be totally under BP's control).

It would be interesting to see what happens if you try this, leave the app on the SD card for a while (at least for one feed update and a phone reboot), and then switch just the app back to internal memory, but leave the BeyondPod setting to use the external SD card. (NB: The path to the folder on external SD card should be .../Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts; if it doesn't include /Android/data/mobi.beyondpod with exactly that capitalisation, BP won't be able to write to it.)

Julie
    This is a great idea. I will definitely try that and let you know. Thanks!