Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts start over instead of resuming only while on bluetooth.

Exclamation Podcasts start over instead of resuming only while on bluetooth.

Hello all, been using BeyondPod for years.

I just got my new OnePlus 2 phone a few days ago, and I have a weird problem. Say I am listening to a podcast on bluetooth in my car, the episode is somewhere in the middle, I pause it, walk into the store, come out, reconnect to the bluetooth, hit play to resume, and then the podcast starts from the beginning. If I go to another episode, it will start at the beginning, and no matter what show, or episode I start, it always starts from the beginning.

If its not on bluetooth, it works as it should, and seems to always resume in the right spot.

I have 2 phones, (OnePlus 2, and a random Huawei) both running v4.1.48, and only the OnePlus 2 has this problem.

Any ideas?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    My guess is that the built-in Player on the OnePlus2 isn't responding correctly to the request to resume playback at the correct point (or isn't telling BP where it got to when you paused when you have BlueTooth connected).

See the Troubleshooting Player Issues help page for things to check and try.

Julie

I can add a few observations from my own experience. I, too, have a OnePlus 2, though I'm using it with BeyondPod exclusively with a portable Bluetooth device (LG HBS-730). If I pause a podcast and then hit play again within a short time -- say a minute or two -- the pause point is respected, and the podcast resumes playing where it left off. But if there is a longer time between pause and play, it starts over at the beginning of the podcast. On my previous device (Galaxy S4) I did not encounter this issue, so I'm thinking that Julie's right about it being the phone's built-in player not responding correctly.

Unfortunately I can't see anything concrete on the page Julie referenced which would help with this issue.

(If it helps, I'm also on v4.1.48.)

BeyondPod Team
    SCRawl, that sounds like the difference between BeyondPod still being in memory, and having been kicked out by Android to make room for something else.

Is there any way to provide debug information for this issue? I have the same problem with OnePlus Two (just rooted but pure stock ROM and kernel), BeyondPod and bluetooth. I haven't had that problem with OnePlus One and Nexus 4. It might not be a problem with BeyondPod. But the debug information might also be useful when submitting bug report to Oneplus Oxygen OS dev team.

BeyondPod Team
    Yes, see: How to send an Android Log to Support.

Please include either a link to this thread or at least your forum name and the title of the thread with the log, so that we have some information about what the problem is and what we're looking for.

My guess is it will probably show that we requested a restart point, and the player ignored it though.

Julie

Thanks. I will do that.

I'll add just one more thing that I tried to alleviate this annoyance. As soon as I started the car, the podcast restarted each time when the bluetooth got connected.

Now, using Tasker, I pause BeyondPod as soon as the Bluetooth connects. But when I manually hit Play, it ofcourse restarts the podcast; atleast it doesn't happen as soon as I start driving.

So I was wondering if you can provide a Tasker action to resume a podcast from the last paused position; ignoring any command received to restart the podcast. Then I can simply set a Tasker Action to force resume BeyondPod whenever Bluetooth is connected even if the OxygenOS is telling the app to restart the podcast.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzboyrules View Post
    So I was wondering if you can provide a Tasker action to resume a podcast from the last paused position
    That's exactly what the Tasker PLAY action will do anyway.

Julie

Well, let me correct that phrasing a bit:

"if you can provide a Tasker action to resume a podcast from the last paused position where the resume position is not time 0 of the podcast."

BeyondPod Team
    The point is that Play ALWAYS means "Play from where you've got to", whether that's 0 or not.