Thread: Podcasts keep stopping

Podcasts keep stopping

Using a note 5. Every pod I listen too they keep stopping randomly. I won't get a text or any notification either. I use my headphones and the play/pause button will not get the pod to play when it randomly stops. Have to pull the phone out and press play.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds as though BeyondPod is in the background, and is getting kicked out of memory by Android in favour of something else. Samsung's version of Androidhas recently been shown to be very aggressive at keeping low numbers of running applications in memory (and unfortunately, many many apps these days set processes running in the background for things that arguably aren't necessary), so there may be nothing we can do about it. BeyondPod already does everything it can to request that it should NOT get kicked out whilst playing, even when it's in the background.

Julie

This was happening to me infrequently over the last 3 or so years using Beyond Pod. I loaded Notification History app to monitor other apps that may cause a pause but that did not show anything at the times the stops would occur. Next I tried Network Log app and sure enough it showed a burst of internet activity in the background during the stops. Facebook, Google Play, and Rdio were all suspected causes. After about 4 stops with associated Network Logs I narrowed it down to Google Play Services. I have Android 4.1.2 on a Galaxy S3. From Application Manager -> All I found Google Play Services and disabled its Notification. That seems to have worked. No more seemingly random stops. I also tried to disable pause on notification in Beyond Pod, which fixed the stop problem but then it would not stop on receiving a call. This is a lot of debugging to get to the potential problem but hopefully helps others if they have this problem. First try disabling Beyond Pod pause on notifications to see if that fixes the stops. If so then maybe you want to track down the chatty notification app via Network Log and turn off its notifications if they are more trouble than they are worth.

Thanks to Beyond Pod team for a great app!

Mike.

Spoke too soon. Turning off Google Play services notifications did not work. My best guess now is some signal from Google Play services (maybe location update?) is sent to the apps and Beyond Pod gets kicked out like Julie has said due to memory. Maybe something like Tasker or Llama could auto-restart the player? If I get more info or a workaround I'll post back here.

I am experiencing the same issue with an LG K7 as this myself.
    Had no problems like this with my Samsung S7 & S3.
    Looking forward to more suggestions.
    Tried all kinds of settings to no avail and will check out these new ideas above...