Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4.1.48x Often Fails Updating Feed

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Hmm. I seem to have been downloading This American Life without problems for some time. I'll check my update log to see what happens after the next episode (due on 28th Sept).

(It's something I rarely listen to, so had forgotten the episodes were even there, as I added the feed in case I ran out of other things to listen to on long journeys, and obviously haven't had any long enough ones to actually listen to any of them.)

What's the other affected feed?

Julie
    I just tried updating the RadioLab Feed. I am at home, on my Wifi. I have some episodes from July & August, so it has worked in the past. I have my old phone in one hand, and it downloaded like a champ using version 3x of Beyond Pod. It displayed, and let me download the Sept 21 feed. Almost never a problem with 3.3.68

The URL on both phones is the same: http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab

On my Samsung S6, using version of BP 4.1.48, I get this in my history:
    ================================================== ===========
    Failed Feeds
    Radiolab from WNYC
    Reason to fail: SocketTimeoutException - failed to connect to feeds.wnyc.org/2607:f8b0:4002:c09::79 (port 80) after 20000ms

Feed Update Details
    Failed - Radiolab from WNYC
    Feed Url: http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab
    Downloaded: 0, starting at position: 0took: 0 mSec. at 0.00 KB/Sec
    Content Size: 0. Cache Size: 352389
    Content Date: Unknown. Cache Date: Mon Sep 21 11:03:48 EDT 2015
    Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded:Yes
    Content Compression: Not Compressed
    Reason to fail: SocketTimeoutException - failed to connect to feeds.wnyc.org/2607:f8b0:4002:c09::79 (port 80) after 20000ms
    Failed - Radiolab from WNYC
    Feed Url: http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab
    Downloaded: 0, starting at position: 0took: 0 mSec. at 0.00 KB/Sec
    Content Size: 0. Cache Size: 352389
    Content Date: Unknown. Cache Date: Mon Sep 21 11:03:48 EDT 2015
    Feed has Image: Yes, image downloaded:Yes
    Feed Processing Details
    • Radiolab from WNYC
    Download Latest (Trial Expired! - will Stream instead), New episodes: 0, Download Max: 1, Keep Max: 50, Delete if more than: 99999 days old.
    No new remote episodes
    History size: 95. History range: 2015-08-07 to 2015-09-21.
    Feed Download Details
    No feeds were Updated
    Device Network Connections: "Home network" (WIFI)
    Background data Allowed
    Environment Info
    BeyondPod Version: 4.1.48x

DEVICE: samsung SM-G920V (zerofltevzw) with Android 5.1.1

DEVICE STORAGE

• SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0
    • Optional Root: /mnt/extSdCard (Read Only)
    • Cached SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0 (autodetect root, keep missing episodes)
    • External SD State: mounted
    • BP location on SD: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    • BP location on Optional: /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod, Exists: false
    • BP will use: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod
    • Free space: 14.60 GB

BATTERY INFO

• Level: 99
    • Plugged In: 2
    • Is Charging? true
    • Is Plugged In? true

FEEDLY INFO

• Logged In: No
    • Has User: No
    • Can Re-Log in: No

APPLICATION INFO

• Playback Speed Enabled: Yes
    • CDS Enabled: No

NETWORK CONNECTIONS (12)

• Type: MOBILE (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: WIFI (), Available: true, Connected: true, State: CONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_MMS (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_SUPL (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_DUN (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE (LTE), Available: true, Connected: true, State: CONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: BLUETOOTH (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_FOTA (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE (LTE), Available: true, Connected: true, State: CONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_CBS (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: WIFI_P2P (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: 17 (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    Last edited by homebrew; 09-27-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
    I just tried updating the RadioLab Feed. I am at home, on my Wifi. I have some episodes from July & August, so it has worked in the past. I have my old phone in one hand, and it downloaded like a champ using version 3x of Beyond Pod. It displayed, and let me download the Sept 21 feed. Almost never a problem with 3.3.68

The URL on both phones is the same: http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab
    I have been using http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab?format=xml, but RadioLab has had intermittent trouble updating for me on my Samsung S4 Mini. I also notice that Radiolab no longer says "... and WNYC" in their intro, has their own site at radiolab.org, and has another RSS feed at http://www.radiolab.org/feeds/podcast/. I just changed my URL to this one, and BP updated the feed without marking everything as new (yay!).

Try this other URL and see how it works for you.

I understand that two devices behaving differently is very odd. However, a failure that basic (a TCP timeout) is a dozen or so layers of abstraction below BP.

I also notice that the device that's failing is using IPv6 (from feeds.wnyc.org/2607:f8b0:4002:c09::79) and perhaps there's some device in the network path that doesn't support IPv6. Can you find the same log entry from your other device?

My (corporate) desktop (at a serious networking outfit) apparently doesn't have IPv6 connectivity anywhere, so I can't test further. The Chrome browser mishandles IPv6 URLs in general, so that test path is useless.

Addendum: a coworker working from home reports that wnyc.org's IPv6 address as reported above doesn't answer pings, which would produce the error that BP reports.

Julie, can BP restrict itself to IPv4 only? I don't know if the Android libraries you use even support such a thing.

feeds.wnyc.org resolves just fine using ipv6 and 2a00:1450:400c:c05::79 answers to pings as well. So I'd guess the problem is that homebrew's new phone supports ipv6 and his wifi router claims it does but something between his phone and the host has issues with ipv6.

Usually you can turn off ipv6 support in routers which should solve the problem. Shouldn't cause any issues either when ipv6 isn't working properly anyways.

BeyondPod Team
    It does seem like ipV6 related issue. BeyondPod uses OkHTTP for all http connections which internally should handle ipV6 if supported by Android version running on the device. As Appel pointed out, there may be an issue downstream, or issue with ipV6 support in Android itself.

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to restrict connections to ipV4 from within BeyondPod as this decision happens much lower in the IP stack, but on some devices there could be controls in the WiFi Access Point settings (in the Device's Network settings) that may have the ability to limit the connections to only ipV4 (if a "helpful" device manufacturer implemented that that in their ROMs).

I just tried subscribing to the "reveal" podcast. More errors.
    Again, it works perfectly on my old phone. I have not looked at my router settings. I don't want to cause problems with any of my other home devices using the internet.

==============================
    Last Updated: Oct 1 8:07 PM, took: 1 min.
    Manual Update

Downloaded Feeds
    Downloaded Episodes
    Failed Feeds
    Reveal
    Reason to fail: SocketTimeoutException - failed to connect to feeds.revealradio.org/2607:f8b0:4002:c03::79 (port 80) after 20000ms

Feed Update Details

Failed - Reveal
    Feed Url: http://feeds.revealradio.org/revealpodcast
    Downloaded: 0, starting at position: 0 took: 0 mSec. at 0.00 KB/Sec
    Content Size: 0. Cache Size: Not Set
    Content Date: Unknown. Cache Date: Not Set
    Feed has Image: No, image downloaded: No
    Reason to fail: SocketTimeoutException - failed to connect to feeds.revealradio.org/2607:f8b0:4002:c03::79 (port 80) after 20000ms
    Failed - Reveal
    Feed Url: http://feeds.revealradio.org/revealpodcast
    Downloaded: 0, starting at position: 0 took: 0 mSec. at 0.00 KB/Sec
    Content Size: 0. Cache Size: Not Set
    Content Date: Unknown. Cache Date: Not Set
    Feed has Image: No, image downloaded: No
    Feed Processing Details

Failed to process feed:Reveal. Reason: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/RSSCache/feeds_revealradio_org_328AAC21.xml: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    • Reveal
    Download Latest (Trial Expired! - will Stream instead), New episodes: 0, Download Max: 1, Keep Max: 5, Delete if more than: 99999 days old.
    No new remote episodes
    History size: 109. History range: 2015-08-07 to 2015-09-30.
    Feed Download Details

No feeds were Updated
    Device Network Connections: "Home network" (WIFI)

Background data Allowed
    Environment Info

BeyondPod Version: 4.1.48x

DEVICE: samsung SM-G920V (zerofltevzw) with Android 5.1.1

DEVICE STORAGE

• SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0
    • Optional Root: /mnt/extSdCard (Read Only)
    • Cached SD Card Root: /storage/emulated/0 (autodetect root, keep missing episodes)
    • External SD State: mounted
    • BP location on SD: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod, Exists: true
    • BP location on Optional: /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod, Exists: false
    • BP will use: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod
    • Free space: 14.62 GB

BATTERY INFO

• Level: 67
    • Plugged In: 0
    • Is Charging? false
    • Is Plugged In? false

FEEDLY INFO

• Logged In: No
    • Has User: No
    • Can Re-Log in: No

APPLICATION INFO

• Playback Speed Enabled: Yes
    • CDS Enabled: No

NETWORK CONNECTIONS (12)

• Type: MOBILE (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: WIFI (), Available: true, Connected: true, State: CONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_MMS (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_SUPL (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_DUN (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: BLUETOOTH (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_FOTA (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: MOBILE_CBS (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: WIFI_P2P (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    • Type: 17 (), Available: true, Connected: false, State: DISCONNECTED, Roaming: false
    Last edited by homebrew; 10-01-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Hmmmmm, I was able to update some of the problem feeds at work on their wifi..
    Last edited by homebrew; 10-02-2015 at 02:45 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    It does look as though this is related to particular networking and feeds, combined with the Android libraries that we use for downloading.

I'll see if there's anything we can do to work around it.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Unfortunately, it appears that this earlier reply pretty much covers it.

There seems to be an issue with ipV6 that BeyondPod has no control over, so the only available workaround is to disable ipV6 (either on the device if the device has the option to let you), or on the router. At least until (if) it gets fixed in Android.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
    Again, it works perfectly on my old phone.
    Probably because your old phone doesn't support ipV6