Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4.1.48x Often Fails Updating Feed

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears that this earlier reply pretty much covers it.

There seems to be an issue with ipV6 that BeyondPod has no control over, so the only available workaround is to disable ipV6 (either on the device if the device has the option to let you), or on the router. At least until (if) it gets fixed in Android.

Julie
    Some feeds work fine at home on the new phone, and some don't, so is it related to how BeyondPod plays with the settings from different sites ??

Some sites might not support IPv6 themselves, so the DNS answer comes back with an IPv4 address, and this works.

BP, or likely the "fetch this URL" library that BP uses, has to use whatever the "gimme the address for 'foo.com'" library gives back.

FIXED ! (so it seems). We made a config change on the router to "Disable advertising" IPV6 ...or something like that.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Thanks for the update. Glad it's working

Yaay! Glad to hear it!

Thanks for the IPV tips.

I hope you can fix this issue in the library or create some work-around or something... because I have the same issue and can't change the WiFi I'm usin to IPv4-only...

I usually auto-update my feeds in the morning. When I updated to Android 6 (which may coincide with some of your updates...?) the updates began to fail regularly. If I turn on WiFi manually and keep the display on, it will run through smoothly.
    Usually I observe this behaviour when updating (not new, but worked until now): For each of my 25 feeds the wlan is automatically switched on, DHCP used to obtain IPv4/v6 and one single feed is updated, WiFi is disconnected and on to another feed. Each feed takes ~20-30 seconds to update this way, even if the download itself is < 1s. I would expect BP to activate WLAN, download all feeds, download all found episodes, deactivate WLAN.
    I just set the timeout to 60seconds (was not set before), maybe this will make a difference...

Android 6 seems to use some more aggressive management on wakeup-events for the phone... so the update scheduled for 6:50am was just started 7:05am when I switched on the screen.... I wonder how long it is postponed before it is run when I don't accidentially switch on my screen (or if it is run at all or if android just says "no! wifi? are you crazy - that battery life!").

The WLAN-On & Auto-Update is *the* feature I'm mostly enjoying in BP (besides the general great user experience, but this gives me the feeling of having nothing to remember and always beeing up to date with smart-lists that auto-update themselves afterwards)... and I think it could require some more love right now

EDIT: When I set the "keep screen on while update", it will start updating ~6 minutes after I originally set time and takes about 12 minutes for 25 feeds (without downloading any episodes). Please consider changing wifi on/off logik, so my battery will not be drained as much by enabling this workaround (was drained by 8% o.O).
    See the Update-Log for details: (you have an email from timo@och-noe.de with the log)

I also just noticed that my issues may be partly offtopic, but still relevant... sorry for posting below this thread, it seemed fitting at the time of reply.
    Last edited by Faldrian; 10-23-2015 at 01:16 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    I'm afraid we can't address the IPV4/IPV6 issues, as they're just not accessed at the level that BP communicates with Android / the networking stack.

I'll check about the rest of your general WiFi handling issues.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    This is most likely an issue with the Doze mode on Android 6 - it disables updates and schedules while dozing and starts them up the moment you pick up the phone and turn the screen on.

The only known solution is to keep the phone plugged in while updating so it does not enter Doze mode. Once plugged in, the phone and scheduling should work as before.

Turn WiFi ON-Update-Turn WiFi Off functionality is somewhat flaky and really depends on the WiFi adapter on the device. Recent versions of Android seems to employ some sophisticated algorithms to keep WiFi sleeping, wake-up, update DNS caches etc. that get disrupted when you turn WiFi on and off. In our experiments it can sometimes take 3..4 minutes after the WiFi is on for all IP addresses to start resolving properly.

BP turns WiFi ON at the start of update process and turns it off at the end, so it should stay on and connected for the entire update batch (updating the feeds and downloading all episodes) and not go in/out between each feed, but often the time the WiFi was on is not enough and some feeds may fail to resolve its IP Addresses.

HTH
    Julie

So you say Android 6.0 ruined the (for my use case) major feature BP has?
    Is there any way you could work around this (new api or parameter for the intent scheduler os something?) or I could adjust something that will make Android handle BP as high priority or something?

My use case is:
    - I want feed-updates every morning before I wake up, so my phone is filled with the latest episodes.
    - I don't charge my phone over night. I use it so carefully, the battery lasts about 3-5 days until it reaches 40%, so "start updating when plugged in" will not do it.

Previous I had some application to turn WLAN on some minutes before BP started updating, so android knew "wlan is already on!" and then BP would update in one go instead of enabling WLAN for each feed or download and disabling it after that... but that application stopped working with Android 6.0