Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4.1.48x Often Fails Updating Feed

Apps can wake the device up even when in doze at most once every 15 minutes. No idea if BeyondPod will do that in future versions or if it is a good idea.

Why not charge the device over night? AFAIK it won't damage the battery in any way. Might even be better for it to keep it charged.

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    Apps can wake the device up even when in doze at most once every 15 minutes. No idea if BeyondPod will do that in future versions or if it is a good idea.

Why not charge the device over night? AFAIK it won't damage the battery in any way. Might even be better for it to keep it charged.
    Every 15 Minutes would be totally fine if the update process would run smoothly and would finish.
    Yesterday I got up at 11am and when I switched on the screen, BP started updating. That's 4 hours later than I programmed it! (and the device had 80% battery, so no energy saving mode active).

Why not charge at night... because I don't need to and I have no power socket near the place I keep the phone at night. Also I don't see the point in changing my behaviour to some software that got broken. It used to work, software should evolve to get better not degrade.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrian View Post
    Also I don't see the point in changing my behaviour to some software that got broken. It used to work, software should evolve to get better not degrade.
    I think you may have to petition Google to allow white-listing of certain apps to allow them to work even when doze conditions are met. Or possibly to whitelist them at certain times of day, or to disable doze at certain times of day. I don't think there's anything that a 3rd party app can do to override Dozing.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    In Android 6, a device is dozing regardless of the battery level as long as it is stationary and unplugged. While Dozing, Android does not give internet access nor does it start any scheduled tasks.

However ...
    In 4.2.7 (latest beta), there is a possible way for BeyondPod to update if the device is dozing, but you have to turn OFF Battery optimizations for BeyondPod in device settings.

Currently it is a violation of Play Store rules for BP to turn off battery optimizations, but you can do it yourself (In Device Settings > Battery > ... Menu > Battery Optimization > Tap on "Not Optimized" drop down and select "All Apps" > Tap on BeyondPod and select "Do Not optimize").

This should let BP start updates around the scheduled time, and give it network connectivity for some time (not sure how long). Please feel free to try this out - it may accomplish what you're after. However, please note that Google is cautioning strongly against abusing this and turning off battery optimizations for apps. Users can do it for now, but there is no guarantee that you will continue to be able to do it in future.

BeyondPod 4.2.7 can be downloaded from our official Beta Page now (it is not yet on the Play Store beta channel).

Julie

I just installed the new beta
    Also I have found an android setting to disable energy optimization for BP and I reinstalled an app that will enable WiFi before BP starts the sync (so WiFi will stay on while syncing instead of having to cycle on-fetch-off for every feed)... also I have turned my Wifi to "stay connected while on standby" in extended wifi settings.
    If this still not works, I have no further clue...