Thread: Some Feedly feedback

Some Feedly feedback

Ever since the feature came out, I've been using Feedly to consolidate all my feeds into two Feedly feeds. I moved to doing this so I could preserve state whenever I reset my phone or changed phones without messing around with backups. I've had two main problems with that I've been meaning to report for ages.

1. BeyondPod does not seem to be able to parse our the audio from some sources when they are consolidated by Feedly. Sometimes they work when added to BeyondPod directly, e.g. http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510208

2. The names to the original feeds are not shown in the individual items. If they don't happen to have convenient images our episode titles, it's impossible to know what you're looking at.

I'm using 4.1.48, which is the latest I can find.

BeyondPod Team
    Hi Alphie

Feedly integration with BeyondPod is really a relic of when there were very few feed readers for text feeds available for Android, so adding the functionality to BP to be able to use it as a text feed reader made sense at the time. However, it's not something that we think of as core functionality.

Unfortunately, using it for podcasts is hit or miss as Feedly does not officially support feeds with enclosures (which is what podcast feeds are). Feedly also has the "item is marked as Read after 30 days" problem which makes it impractical for podcasts (... they are a newsreader app after all, and we get whatever data they decide to give us).

That being said, for Feedly text-only feeds, BeyondPod does show the original feed name for each item in "All Published" screen (next to the date).

It doesn't show it for episodes as episodes rely on the feed icon to indicate their feed (and the feed icon is the same for all episodes of the Feedly feed).

HTH
    Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. It's useful to know that this feature is in "relic" mode I started using it a long while back after I had to install a phone from scratch a couple of times in one week. Finding all the feeds again, categorizing them and manually updating the 'read' flags for every item was such a pain, I needed a better way. I know it's possible to back-up BP settings, but I don't want to have to think about doing that regularly. Is there another way I can address this problem myself?

I imagine you don't want to get into implementing your own web service, so how about integration with Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive to automatically push/pull settings?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by alphie View Post
    It's useful to know that this feature is in "relic" mode I started using it a long while back after I had to install a phone from scratch a couple of times in one week. Finding all the feeds again, categorizing them and manually updating the 'read' flags for every item was such a pain, I needed a better way. I know it's possible to back-up BP settings, but I don't want to have to think about doing that regularly. Is there another way I can address this problem myself?
    Just do a backup when you know you're going to need to reinstall? Actually, removable SD cards make changing devices an absolute doddle: backup; move card (containing backup) to new device; install BP; restore from backup. It's a shame that fewer and fewer devices support removable cards these days.

Android Marshmallow will have better built-in backup, which BeyondPod will take advantage of, but there's a limit to the amount of data you can backup, so it will still be restricted to a backup of your settings (much the same as BP's manual Backup / Restore that's available now). Technically, it would be possible to also backup downloaded episodes, but because there's a data limit, what would you do about users who have more downloads than Google allows space for?

There's also the gotcha that if you have more than one device, what you'll restore is the backup from whichever device happened to be most recently backed up - which may not be the one you want, of course, especially if your primary device fails and it takes a while to replace it.

I imagine you don't want to get into implementing your own web service, so how about integration with Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive to automatically push/pull settings?
    Actually, a web service is something that we're looking into, as a possible replacement for the current episode sync feature.

HTH
    Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 10-07-2015 at 06:13 AM.