Thread: BeyondPod 4.1.48 Crashes a Few Seconds After Screen Turns Off

BeyondPod 4.1.48 Crashes a Few Seconds After Screen Turns Off

The title says it all. BeyondPod always worked reliably on my Nexus 7 until recently. Now when the screen turns off the application stops/terminates. It is no longer a running process, the notification disappears, and the widget is still showing playing. If I tap on the Pause button on the widget the podcast will resume playing. Once the screen times out, BeyondPod will crash again. My Nexus 7 (2013) is running the latest version of Android 5.1.1. If I manually turn off the screen, BeyondPod will crash too after about 30 seconds.

BeyondPod Team
    The only thing I can think of is that BP is not so much crashing as being kicked out of memory in favour of something else once the screen turns off and BP essentially becomes a background process. As I remember, the Nexus 7 doesn't have an awful lot of memory, so if you have a load of apps installed that all want to do their thing in the background, they'll be fighting for what little memory there is. Unfortunately, Android updates, and updates of other apps all affect what memory is available at any given time.

On the other hand, I can't really think of what process might take precedence and demand memory as a result of the screen switching off.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Julie

I had to back out Android 5 on my Nexus 7, performance was awful, strange results having to do with everything taking ten times longer than you'd want it to. I'm now on 4.4.4 and the performance is back (along with functional lockscreen widgets).

I decided to reboot and rebuild the ART cache in case something corrupted the image along the way. So far, so good. BeyondPod runs when my screen is off, but it typically does that after a reboot. Only after the device has been running a day does BeyondPod crash, so I'll have to keep an eye on the issue. I tend to agree with Julie's prognosis, but I cannot see why Android would terminate the process AND the service especially if they are active. I'm going to have to check the log files to know what is really going on.

As for backing off to Android 4.X, I like 5.1.1. I have never had any trouble with it from a power consumption or responsiveness point-of-view. I'm unlocked and rooted too. It is probably because each time I upgrade I do a complete image install and not just an upgrade because I use NRT. Much like in Linux and Windows, upgrades introduce inconsistencies. I'll upgrade to a bit of Marshmallowly goodness once someone releases a rooted kernel for 6.0.

Thanks for your suggestions.