Thread: BeyondPod moving to next episode

BeyondPod moving to next episode

Hello.

Currently using a Moto X (2013) on Android 5.1. Since being upgraded to 5.1, BeyondPod will occasionally mark an episode played in the middle of playing. I've noticed that it happens most often when I go from being on WiFi to being on mobile data, or when the wifi connection resets.

I've also seen that when I look individual feeds, it'll be showing me episodes from a different feed. If I back out and go back in, it shows me the correct list.

I always download the episodes, never stream.

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks.

I've noticed this as well, although for me it seems to have started after the most recent upgrade of BeyondPod (I'm on Marshmallow, but I wasn't having trouble until just recently). For me, it's seeming to skip when I turn on the screen (or it turns itself on) when I'm playing a long podcast.

I've seen it with episodes as short as 45 minutes. I'm not sure that I can say if it happens more frequently with longer episodes or not.

Could it be an available RAM problem?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You might want to start at the Troubleshooting Help page, and specifically the Troubleshooting Player issues page. If that doesn't help identify the cause (or at least a workaround), I think we'll need to get an Android log to determine what's happening. The most likely cause is either BP receiving a Skip to End signal (apparent button press) from somewhere, or (if it's playing in the background), being kicked out of memory due to lack of RAM.

Julie

Julie -

I appreciate you getting back to me. One question I would have, though, is why would getting kicked out of RAM cause BP to mark an episode (or two sometimes) as read and move on to the next episode?

BeyondPod Team
    It shouldn't. In fact, if anything, I'd expect it to cause BP to jump BACKWARDS in the episode, because it didn't get a chance to save the most recent position. Unless something else is going on as well.

Julie

Right. I remember when I was having that problem (BP crashing and starting again earlier in the episode) on a previous phone/BP version. That's why this one is so strange. I even removed the skip forward button from the UI, although it still shows up as on the lock screen widget.

It does seem to happen most often when switching from WiFi to mobile or if the phone is under an especially heavy load. Only started happening after upgrading to Lollipop.

I found Lollipop to perform so poorly on my Nexus 7 that I backed it out...

Messing with the WiFi attachment is clearly an expensive operation; I frequently get a (tiny) stutter in playback when I wander in and out of range.
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 11-06-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Could it be that the media player tells BeyondPod that it has reached the end of the stream even though it hasn't? Can you tell from the BeyondPod log?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    Could it be that the media player tells BeyondPod that it has reached the end of the stream even though it hasn't? Can you tell from the BeyondPod log?
    Yes, that's the most likely explanation, and yes, you would see it in the logs.