Thread: Moving back to external SD card

Moving back to external SD card

Due to Kit-Kat's idiotic SD card permissioning scheme, I was forced to move my podcast database onto the internal SD card this morning. I finally got the permissioning sorted out such that BeyondPod can read and write to the external SD Card (thanks to this app), but now BeyondPod is only giving me the option to "move" to the SD card, not to just select my old podcast directory (which wasn't deleted). Is there any way I can fix this? My latest Titanium Backup is from several days ago, and I'd rather not lose the unread counts and whatnot.

My current approach is to make a backup of the current setup, unzip it and edit Settings.xml.autobak and BackupManifest.txt. beyondpod.db.autobak doesn't seem to have any settings in it related to the file root, and I don't know the format of the binary files in there. Any ideas? As you may be able to tell, I'm find with a hacked-together technical solution.

OK, I actually got this fixed - I must not have been changing all the right settings. Here's how I ended up doing it:

Step 1: Made a backup of the version with all the proper unread counts and playlists, etc, but the wrong root location (Backup 1)
    Step 2: Use Titanium Backup to restore to the older version, pre-SD card change.
    Step 3: Make a BeyondPod backup with the proper root location but incorrect unread counts.
    Step 4: Transfer both to a computer
    Step 5: Unzip Backup 1.bpbak to mydir/Backup_1_files and Backup 2.bpbak to mydir/Backup_2_files
    Step 6: Move BackupManifest.txt and Settings.xml.autobak to mydir/Backup_1_files, overwriting the values in the folder.
    Step 7: Re-zip the files in Backup_1_files to Backup_1_new.bpbak (using .zip compression)
    Step 8: Transfer Backup_1_new.bpbak to my backup location (/storage/external_SD/BeyondPod/Backups/)
    Step 9: Restore Backup_1_new.bpbak with the Backup and Restore functionality of BeyondPod.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You didn't need a third party app, or root. It's just that the location of the folder has to be specific to the application (i.e. the BeyondPod folder can no longer be directly under root on the SD card).

Instructions on how to move your Podcasts to an External card are on the Help pages at How to change the location of downloaded podcasts, supplemented by Troubleshooting External SD Card issues

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    You didn't need a third party app, or root. It's just that the location of the folder has to be specific to the application (i.e. the BeyondPod folder can no longer be directly under root on the SD card).

Instructions on how to move your Podcasts to an External card are on the Help pages at How to change the location of downloaded podcasts, supplemented by Troubleshooting External SD Card issues

HTH
    Julie
    I'm fairly certain I do need these. I'm not really interested in experimenting with it at the moment, but my understanding is that if I allow the default behavior, the BeyondPod folder would be "owned" by BeyondPod, so clearing data on the BeyondPod app would delete all my podcast media files and backups, and annoyingly TitaniumBackup would back up all my podcasts (changing the backup file from 500kB to 18 GB) instead of just the actual BeyondPod metadata and settings.

Aside from that, having fixed the SD Card problem AFTER my podcasts were copied over, I didn't want BeyondPod to copy the files a second time when the files were still there from the last time, so I needed a method for setting the download location that just pointed BP to the right spot, not one that told BP, "take all the files with you when you move". Like I said, I fixed it with my little patch move, but possibly the "right" way to do it is to use this Advanced Setting in your first link:

If "Podcast Download Folder" option above is disabled, then your device exposes the External Storage Card in a different location that is unknown to BeyondPod. In this case, you have to manually specify its location. Here is how you can pick any folder on your device. For example if the External Storage Card is exposed as /mnt/my_sdcard Use: BeyondPod Settings > Menu (press Menu key) > Advanced Settings. Under "Episode Download Path" enter the path to the External Storage Card (/mnt/my_sdcard in this case).
    Next time it comes up I'll see if that works :P