Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove silence.

Remove silence.

Hello,
    II was dreaming about an option to "remove" silences.
    Thanks.

BeyondPod Team
    It's extremely non-trivial, I'm afraid. Unless your device's built-in player has options to support a request to remove silence, it would involve writing a player, instead of using your device's built-in one, and that's not going to happen.

Julie

I would really like this feature as well. It seems like Audacity has the ability to truncate silence. Is there not a way to use that technology on android?

I remember when variable speed was changed from an external add in to internally built into the app. Was that just something way simpler to handle?

BeyondPod Team
    Only if the built in player has the ability to do it, which I don't think it has, unlike variable speed.

Was playing around with Pocket Casts and their app has the ability to remove silence and it keeps track of the stats for removed silence over the lifetime of the app/account. I'm guessing their app has a unique/custom player?

BeyondPod Team
    I would have to assume so too.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Was playing around with Pocket Casts and their app has the ability to remove silence and it keeps track of the stats for removed silence over the lifetime of the app/account. I'm guessing their app has a unique/custom player?
    Overcast on IOS has a similar feature. Would love to see this feature in BeyondPod, especially as a BeyondPod Pro feature.

Lightbulb This would be very nice - some podcasts really need it.

I rather like "The Daily" from the NYT, but it sounds like the announcer took way too many Quaaludes. It is really slow, like maybe 60% normal speed, which is easy enough to speed up, but there appear to be really exaggerated silences edited in between words: maybe 500msec of added silence between each word. Speeding it up enough to make it remotely listenable makes it very staccato, with sharp normal speed words broken by weirdly long silences. It might be cool to have a pre-processing option, where a few options could be provided:

• Remove Silence (< -X dB, > Y msec [default: < -30dB, > 300 msec])
    • Normalize peak volume (max -X.X dB [default: -0.1 dB])
    • Normalize average volume (avg -X.X dB [default -22 dB]) [] allow clipping [] prevent clipping [] soft clip

The trouble is that the silence detection is an IOS feature, not an app feature. "Players" like BP (audio and video) don't do their own audio processing, they use the platform's audio functions. Anything that the Android audio API supports can be added.

I would really like this feature as well. It seems like Audacity has the ability to truncate silence. Is there not a way to use that technology on android?