Thread: Delay deleting played episodes

Delay deleting played episodes

I'm interested in having episodes be deleted after I have played them. So, I have the "After Playing" playlist setting set to "Delete and play next". However, sometimes after an episode finishes and a new episode starts, I'll want to go back and listen to the ending of the episode that just finished. However, the "Delete and play next" setting immediately deletes the episode when it finishes, so in order to listen to the ending of the previous episode, I must re-download the episode.

Is there any way to make this setting delay deletion of the episode that just finished? Alternatively, is there any other setting I can use that will work for my use case? Really I am just interested in having episodes be deleted after I have played them, just not have them be deleted immediately. For example, one thing that would work well is if Beyond Pod automatically deleted played episodes during scheduled feed updates.

Is there any way to make Beyond Pod do anything like this?

Thanks

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You can delay the deletion until the next Feed Update - exactly as you requested.

To do this, change your Player's "After Playing" setting to just Play Next.
    In the Advanced Settings, scroll to the Feed Update section, and tick Automatically Delete Played Episodes.

That will delete all (non-Favourited) episodes next time you do a Feed Update.

Julie

Awesome, that is a very nice feature, thanks!

I notice that with the "Automatically Delete Played Episodes" setting enabled, BeyondPod seems to delete played episodes after it has already checked if it should download new episodes. I have BeyondPod setup to download up to 3 episodes of podcasts. If I have 3 episodes of a podcast downloaded and I finish an episode, the next time an update is performed it will delete the played episode so that I only have 2 episodes downloaded. However, it will will not go ahead and download the next podcast episode during the same update. An update will need to be performed a second time in order for BeyondPod to download the next episode to get me back to my 3 episode max.

This seems like a strange behavior. I would expect the update to delete the played episode, and then automatically download the next episode in the podcast if there are any, without needing the update to run a second time. Is this a bug?

Thanks

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The way it works depends on your feed settings. The logic is explained in the FAQs at http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...download-logic

HTH
    Julie

I do not have any podcasts set up with the Download Newest Episodes logic, but at least with the Download Episodes In-Order use case, it seems to me that the standard behavior for the "Automatically Delete Played Episodes" setting to delete episodes before checking if it should download new episodes. By deleting played episodes first, BeyondPod can then correctly see how many new episodes should be downloaded. Instead, with the current behavior, it takes two feed updates in order for the feed to actually update to the final state - the first feed update deletes any played episodes, and the next feed update downloads new episodes up to the specified max number of episodes. It seems much more logical to me that a single feed update would both delete old episodes and download new episodes.

The fact that it takes 2 feed updates to update a feed to the final state seems very strange to me. Is this a bug?

Thanks

I do not have any podcasts set up with the Download Newest Episodes logic, but at least with the Download Episodes In-Order use case, it seems to me that the standard behavior for the "Automatically Delete Played Episodes" setting to delete episodes before checking if it should download new episodes. By deleting played episodes first, BeyondPod can then correctly see how many new episodes should be downloaded. Instead, with the current behavior, it takes two feed updates in order for the feed to actually update to the final state - the first feed update deletes any played episodes, and the next feed update downloads new episodes up to the specified max number of episodes. It seems much more logical to me that a single feed update would both delete old episodes and download new episodes.

The fact that it takes 2 feed updates to update a feed to the final state seems very strange to me. Is this a bug?

Thanks