Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BeyondPod preventing "note to self" even when paused

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by josiahgarber View Post
    Is there a way to alert the developers to this bug?
    Android handles all the parsing of voice commands.

BeyondPod just declares to Android what type of commands it's capable of processing (such as "Play"), and if Android detects a command that it thinks a particular app can handle, it offers that in the list that you mention (which doesn't include BeyondPod).

BeyondPod doesn't get involved until after Android has parsed the command. I suspect you may find you get the same issue if any AV app is running. My guess is that Android is assuming for some reason that the "current" app should take priority (why it would treat AV apps any differently is anybody's guess - but it will try to find an app to process a Play button if it detects it, so maybe there's some conflict between microphone button detection and play button detection), but then discovers that BP hasn't declared its ability to process "Note to self", so it returns the slightly misleading "No notes app installed" error, which really means "None of the (1) apps I've tried to pass this to know how to handle this command".

I don't think there will be anything that BP can do about this.

The only thing I can think of to try would be to disable headset buttons in BeyondPod, but I'm not entirely hopeful.

Julie

If it's any help, VLC doesn't cause the same problem, even when its playing. Same for Google play music. BP is the only one I can find, and it causes it 100% repeatably.

BeyondPod Team
    I'm afraid it's not much help, because we have no idea what's causing it. BeyondPod doesn't get involved until AFTER Android has parsed the Note to Self command. You'd have to ask Google (or your phone manufacturer, who may have tweaked that bit of code) WHY it's choosing not to pass it to other apps when BP is loaded.

Julie

I can't reproduce this on my Nexus 6 with Android 6.0.1 and BeyondPod 4.1.48. "Note to self" prompts me to take a note regardless of if BeyondPod is playing or not.

I still wonder what happens if you've subscribed to the 'note to self' podcast.

I was wrong. I can reproduce it if I enable "ok google" to always listen and say "ok google" to trigger voice input while BeyondPod is in the foreground. It's not specific to BeyondPod though, even if I uninstall BeyondPod it also happens if Google Photos, Twitter, Hangouts or Google Maps is in the foreground.

BeyondPod Team
    Denis, you'd still have to say "PLAY Note to Self"

BeyondPod Team

Quote Originally Posted by stuartajc View Post
    If it's any help, VLC doesn't cause the same problem, even when its playing. Same for Google play music. BP is the only one I can find, and it causes it 100% repeatably.
    Same here. Other Audio/Visual Apps don't seem to affect the ok google note to self functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    I was wrong. I can reproduce it if I enable "ok google" to always listen and say "ok google" to trigger voice input while BeyondPod is in the foreground. It's not specific to BeyondPod though, even if I uninstall BeyondPod it also happens if Google Photos, Twitter, Hangouts or Google Maps is in the foreground.
    I noticed it didn't matter what app was in the foreground, or even if BeyondPod was playing or not. If BeyondPod is in the background and paused, I still do not have the "note to self" functionality. Upgraded to Marshmallow recently in hopes something would change, no luck.