Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving podcasts to external SD Card

Moving podcasts to external SD Card

I cannot figure out how to move my BeyondPod podcasts to an external SD Card. I have read vague reports here and elsewhere about need special permissions or directory names or whatever in order to make this work, but I can't figure out what needs to be done.

System specifications:

Unit: Insignia Flex NS-P16AT10
    Android version 5.0.1
    Kernel version 3.10.54
    Build number LRX22C

BeyondPod version 3.30.68

I am having the same issue. If I knew this was an issue I wouldn't have paid for it.

BeyondPod Team
    Here's the Help page: http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...oaded-podcasts

I can't remember now whether BP 4 pre-dates Android KitKat (which is when Applications started only being allowed to use their own private directories on SD cards), so you may find that you have to either update to BP4 to get KitKat and above access to your SD card ... or manually move your BeyondPod folder to its private path.

EVERY app can write to its own private folder (and subfolders thereof) on SD cards on KitKat. It's just a matter of knowing what the folder should be called.

It will be <sdcard path>/ Android/data/<app ID>

Share the app to find its ID. For BeyondPod it's <sdcard>/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files

You'll need your phone manufacturer's File Manager app to create this folder (since only a system app can write to any arbitrary place on an SD card). If your device didn't come with a pre-installed File Manager, you'll have to create the folder on a PC. But once it exists, the app's "owner" will be able to write to it and any subfolder within it. See http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/2014/03/kitk...-sd-cards.html for more info on KitKat and removable SD cards in general.

HTH
    Julie

Why must this be that difficult?!? I went to http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...oaded-podcasts - doesn't work. I have a Galaxy S7 - brand new - Android 6.0.1 and installed the latest BeyondPod. My sdcard is not read only. I can use ES Explorer, browse to it and create files. I can use Android File Transfer on my Mac to browse to it and create/copy/delete files.

Where do the instructions fail? Well it says to use BeyondPod Settings > General Settings > Podcast Download Folder. But when I select that I get "To use the alternate locations..." and a cancel and move button. Wait! What's moving? And more importantly where is it moving to?!? I have not even told it where I want it to move to! It says "Podcast Download Folder /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts (/storage/emulated/0 is also available as an alternate location)". Ok find, 'cept /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts already exists and it's on my internal storage - not my sdcard. And /storage/emulated/0 does not exist (according to ES Explorer) yet when I tap Move it says Destination folder /storage/emulated/o/BeyondPod already exists! And asks me if I want to overwrite it. For grins I say yes and it asks are you really sure. I say "Sure" and it supposed moved it there. However ES File Explorer still doesn't show it. For more grins I use ES File Explorer to create the 0 folder in /storage/emulated and it says "Operation failed. Please use a different name".

Now my BeyondPod is screwed. There are old episodes there but none can play nor can I redownload them. So I tried it again that this time it put up a dialog box saying I can store things either on the internal storage or the external storage so I selected external storage. I thought it was now finally working but it isn't . Looking at the phone in Android File Transfer which gives me Phone and Card buttons and when I download episodes they still go to the phone and not the card.

Trying Advanced Settings > Episode Download Path I get a text box. A text box?!? And I have to accurately type in another path. According to ES File Explorer that should be /storage/3132-3961 where there's a BeyondPod/Podcasts. Typing in /storage/3132-3961/ yields "/storage/3132-3961 does not exist or is read only" yet ES File Explorer can create files there.

How do you do this? I know there's a lot written here but it seems like very "solution" is radically different with directions that lead to nowhere...

I also have the same issue but now solved

Care to tell us how you solved it?

BeyondPod Team
    Just say you want to move it from the General Settings. In Marshmallow the path to SD cards changed.

All that you're doing in this case by saying you want to move it is to force BP to search for (and find) the new path. It takes less than a second.

Julie

Please provide me with the exact steps to do this. Because as I already reported the Podcast Download Folder says "/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts (/sdcard is also available as an alternate location)" however neither of those paths are paths to my external card which is /storage/3132-3961. In fact, using ES File Explorer and browsing to /storage/emulated shows and empty folder! No, my podcasts are under /sdcard/BeyondPod. I had, through my Mac, copied all of /sdcard/BeyondPod -> /storage/3132-3961. Next I picked a podcast episode and selected Delete Episode and verified that /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/The Art of Charm/<episode file> got deleted. In fact, that directory was completely empty. I also insured that /storage/3132-3961/BeyondPod/Podcasts/The Art of Charm was completely empty. Next I went back to BeyondPod and told it to download the episode again. It got put in /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/The Art of Charm but not in /storage/3132-3961/BeyondPod/Podcasts/The Art of Charm so clearly BeyondPod is not putting stuff to my external card.

Then I went into BeyondPod > General Settings > Podcast Download Folder and tapped it. It asked me to move the episodes and asked me to confirm the move since /sdcard already exists. I responded yes. It said move complete and restarted BeyondPod. Now all my episodes are gone! /sdcard doesn't have a BeyondPod folder! /storage/emulated is still empty. /storage/3132-3961 has a BeyondPod folder and a Podcasts folder under that, with a bunch of my podcast folders, but none of them have any files in them. And trying to update any of the feeds results in "InSufficientStorageSpaceException - Invalid download folder: /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/RSSCache". Of course that's and invalid download folder as there is no 0 folder under /storage/emulated.

So I go back to BeyondPod > General Settings > Podcast Download Folder. This time is says /storage/emultated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts (/storage/emulated/0 is also available as and alternate location)" so I tap it and select move and this time I get a dialog box that talks about KitKat introducing restrictions, etc. and the warning that if I move stuff to the External SD card that if I remove the app BeyondPod my episodes will be deleted. That's fine as I don't plan on uninstalling BeyondPod for quite some time. There are two selections: Use Internal card (Recommended) and Use External SD card. I select External SD card and continue. I then puts things under /sdcard/BeyondPod, which, again, doesn't seem to be the same place as /storage/3132-3961, which remains essentially empty.

Finally, note that in ES File Explorer it shows me two boxes at the top - one is labeled Internal Storage and the other is labeled SD card. When I tap on Internal Storage it goes to /storage/emulated/0 which shows me a BeyondPod folder! If I go up one folder to emulated is shows empty folder. WTF?!? And if I tap on the SC card box it goes to /storage/3132-3961! Again WTF? This makes no logical sense at all! /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts contains one folder, The Art of Charm, with one episode because I re-downloaded it. /storage/3132-3961/BeyondPod/Podcasts has many empty folders. In fact I'm gonna delete /storage/3132-3961/BeyondPod.

So, as I said before, this is waaaaaaaay harder than it should be. I should be able to just tap Podcast Download Folder and select a folder. If it's different than the current folder then all files should move to the new place.

BeyondPod Team
    Literally just tap the Move button. Job done.
    The message about moving to internal storage is misleading.

BeyondPod Team
    However, I'm not sure how you got your podcasts to be at <sdcard>/BeyondPod, as that hasn't worked since KitKat.

So if they had been at <sdcard>/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files, where they've needed to be since KitKat, one tap would do it.