Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving podcasts to external SD Card

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    To get things working, you'll need to exit BP, manually move your files to /storage/3132-3961/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files, restart BP, and then possibly "pretend" to move your files to your SD card in BP's General Settings to get BP to find your SD card path once and for all.

You're not understanding me or perhaps I'm not understanding you. I tapped move. Nothing moved. Or at least, according to ES File Explorer, they weren't moved to my External SD card but are on my Internal SD card. Perhaps some pictures would help...

Screenshot_20160908-134415.jpg

The above shows that /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod is empty.

Screenshot_20160908-134626.jpg

The above shows that /storage/3132-3961/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod is empty.

Screenshot_20160908-134721.jpg

The above shows where all my podcasts reside under /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts.

Screenshot_20160908-134753.jpg

The above shows an episode of The Art of Charm.

As you can see it's not on my external SD card but it's on my internal SD card and under /sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    To get things working, you'll need to exit BP, manually move your files to /storage/3132-3961/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files, restart BP, and then possibly "pretend" to move your files to your SD card in BP's General Settings to get BP to find your SD card path once and for all.
    As my /storage/emulated/0/Andriod/data/mobi.beyondpod/files is empty, which files exactly do I move to /storage/3132-3961/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files? Everything under .../BeyondPod? Every under .../BeyondPod/Podcasts?

Didn't work. Failed like before.

Again, WHY IS THIS DIFFICULT! This is simple file system basics. We worked this out back in the frigging 80's! Geeze.

BeyondPod Team
    I don't know what you did to end up in the current state, but if your files had started off in the expected path, it would have been easy. Just tapping Move (or confirming it was OK when BP starts up) would have been enough.

To get this working from your current position, you'll need to manually (e.g. on your Mac) move your BeyondPod folder from where it is on your SD card to /storage/<your unique number>/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/ so that you end up with /storage/<your unique number>/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts etc.

Then, using your File Manager, make sure you don't have a BeyondPod folder on internal storage.

Finally, reinsert the SD card and restart BP. It may work out where your files are, or you may need to pretend to move them to make it find them. You won't need to tell it what the path is.

Julie

Defaria, did you ever get this resolved? I'm running into the same problem in that hitting the move directory (to sd card) on my new S7 only moves it to another emulated (i.e. internal) sd card space.

BeyondPod Team
    What do you mean by emulated SD card space? What's the path? (Don't worry that the path includes the word emulated - many of them do.)
    If your episodes were already on your SD card when you got your S7, "moving" them just updates the path to the new-style one with a unique ID for the card. If you use a file manager, do you see the BeyondPod Podcast folder on your internal storage or your SD card?

Julie

I am having the same issue with my new GS7. I am forced to use internal storage until someone can provide a decent solution to setting the SD card as the download location.

I tried all of the same things mentioned in this thread. Either can't recognize the file path or the files continue to write to the internal storage when the app has been moved to the SD card.

If anyone has gotten this to work, in detail (step by step) what did you do?

BeyondPod Team
    Did you move the SD card from another pre-Marshmallow device with your BP podcasts already on it?

If so, install the beta version (4.2.16), and "pretend" to move your podcasts. This will prompt BeyondPod to look for your SD card (the path to it has changed between Lollipop and Marshmallow), and it will find your podcasts.

If you started with your podcasts on your internal storage, and want to move them to your SD card now, there at least used to be a quirk with Samsung phones that they'd refuse to save the path to the SD card unless you move the APP to SD too, using the System Settings for Apps. Assuming that's still the case, once you've move the App to SD, then changed the BP settings to put your podcasts on the SD card, you should be able to move the app back to internal storage.

Julie

I have a fresh install and am on 4.2.16. I've tried moving the app to the SD card and also changed the download location in expert settings to /mnt/sdcard

This doesn't appear to work. When I check the SD card there is nothing there. What should the file path be for the download location on the SD card?