Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving podcasts to external SD Card

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea08 View Post
    I have ... also changed the download location in expert settings to /mnt/sdcard
    That DEFINITELY won't work. Android won't let BeyondPod write to your SD card there.

HOW have you tried to move the podcasts to the SD card? Here's the help page: How to change the location of downloaded podcasts

See also the information at My External SD card has become Read Only and Troubleshooting External SD Card issues

Your podcasts MUST be in BeyondPod's private folder, which will be ~/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files on your SD card. On Marshmallow, I would expect the path to the SD card to include a unique identifying number for the card. The exact path that Samsung uses may be different, but on my Sony, it's /storage/nnnn-nnnn/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files, but you'll sometimes see that presented as a symbolic link, e.g. /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files

Julie

I just had a frustrating experience with this. The user experience was terrible and not at all intuitive.

I must have had an install from before Android was updated. I had podcasts on internal storage but not in data/mobi.beyondpod. So the menu to change storage location only gave the option to move from the existing internal folder to the other internal folder in data/mobi.beyondpod

Thinking that the UI may be incorrectly labeling the external SD path internal, i eventually initiated the move. However it did just move between the two internal folders.

But--after that completed, the menu gave me the option to move it to the external SD card. Once I clicked on that the data moved to the external card!

So, you had to move in 2 steps:

Old internal -> new internal folder
    New internal folder -> external SD card

Jason

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for that report. It's actually prompted me to find another bug on my own primary device, where some podcasts are being saved on internal storage, even though most of them are on my SD card.

I've prodded the devs again. (Internal Tracking ID #119132183)

Julie

Registered here for the first time just to vent before I uninstall this app off my phone for good (I paid)

I've read every goddamn thread on here and on the web about possible steps to fix the problem. No matter all my efforts, I've failed.

There's obviously a serious bug with the app as it pertains to management of external SD drive feature. And here are steps that will show why:

1) I've moved the app to SD card.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Go to Advanced Settings and update path to the /externalcard/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod (SAME FOLDER as the app)
    4) Click "Move"
    5) Get error message: "You need at least ....". Check logs, yup, the bloody app STILL moves podcasts TO THE ORIGINAL internal path!!

Why would it do that??? I mean, why wouldn't it move to the bloody new path I had set in the settings!?

This bug has only been around for what almost a year? Devs asleep at the controls?? Unbelievably frustrating.
    Last edited by axmachina; 01-31-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks this actually did work for me but after moving the app to the SD card I've lost the homescreen widget. Oh well, so much for trying.

Really shocked that the devs couldn't move off their ass to fix this obviously basic yet unimaginably frustrating bug.
    Last edited by axmachina; 01-31-2017 at 10:06 PM.

I'm not sure what's going on either and getting quite annoyed myself now, as I can no longer move my folder within the internal SD card of my new Nexus 6P. My normal procedure as I have done numerous times, upgrading from my Nexus 5 to Nexus 6, and after several wipes of my N6, was to copy off my phone using a Windows MTP connection to my PC, setting up the new phone, copying back the files then either restoring the settings from a BP backup (if I remembered to do it), or by restoring using Titanium Backup.

Now with my new Nexus 6P, running 7.1.1 (as was my N6), even after restore and a fresh install BP just complains that the folder is "read-only" or not available - I just created it!!! For clarification the internal SD card and the new folder translates to the folder "/storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod". I use the same root folder with WatchMaker, "/storage/emulated/0/WatchMaker", Titanium Backup, "/storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup" and Tasker, "/storage/emulated/0/Tasker" and they have zero issues. They all reverted to normal function as per my old Nexus 6.

As well as resolving this bug, I would really like to see a browse button for the choosing the folder, at least then we can report what BP can and cannot see on our phones.

BeyondPod Team
    From KitKat onwards (with the possible exception of Custom ROMs) Android only allows apps to have write access to their own private folder on removable SD cards. From Marshmallow onwards, Android has also added a unique identifier for SD cards. So, BeyondPod's data now has to be in
    /storage/nnnn-nnnn/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod, and the path for your podcasts will be /storage/nnnn-nnnn/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files/BeyondPod/Podcasts

In addition, from Marshmallow, Android at the very least "encourages" apps to use the same format of path for internal storage (but without the SD unique identifier)., and that's what will get created on the first run of BP on a new device (unless you restore your backup before running BP).

My guess is that you now have two BeyondPod folders - the one under Android/data/mobi.beyondpod, and one in root (or wherever you've restored it to), and Android isn't letting BP have write access to the folder where your data is.

If you go to General Settings and scroll down to the bottom, BP will tell you what path it thinks it's using. But Android is clamping down more and more about where apps are allowed to keep their data, so the ability to choose where you put your data is a non-option, I'm afraid.

You may be able to fix this by "pretending" to move your data (tap on the Storage location entry in the General Settings). If not, you may have to use a file manager to move your BeyondPod folder to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files and then restart BP. (NB: Make sure that you don't have two BeyondPod folders.)

I registered just to reply the same issue on my Xiaomi Mi Max. Android 6. I have tried everything. Creating the folder manually doesn't work. I even watched the app create the folder then undo it. The app shows it moving the files but it never does. This is such a frustrating bug. Please sort it out.

I've just run into this issue.
    My SD card failed recently so beyondpod wouldn't function unless I selected internal storage. I just got a new SD card and thought things would be as simple as switching the download folder back to the SD card option. But, no it won't work. It pops up a progress bar and then right as it's about finished, it says access denied and move failed. The permissions settings should allow for it, so I'm not sure what the issue is since it was working fine before.

I did test to make sure that the SD card works. Audible downloaded stuff onto the SD card just fine.

I just solved this problem. It wasn't at all obvious.

Didn't work:

- Move the app to the SD card (it was already on the SD card)
    - BP → Settings → General Settings → Podcast Download Folder → <SD card path> (both paths shown in that setting are on the internal storage)
    - Go to Advanced Settings and type in the path of the SD card (there was no "Advanced Settings" as mentioned at http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...oaded-podcasts)
    - Create a symbolic link between where BP thought the files were and the location I wanted them to be (must be root to do this and I'm not willing to give up Android Pay for this)

This worked (!):

1) (Android) Settings → Apps → Application Manager → BeyondPod → Force Stop
    2) (Command Prompt) adb shell
    3) (ADB shell prompt) cd /storage/emulated/0/BeyondPod/Podcasts/files
    4) (ADB shell prompt) mv * /storage/9C33-6BBD/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod/files
    (note that your SD card location may vary - try "ls /storage")
    5) (BeyondPod) Settings → General Settings → Podcast Download Folder → (Both current location and "alternate" location are in internal storage but I chose to switch anyway)
    6) (BeyondPod) Settings → General Settings → Podcast Download Folder → (now the SDCARD location is available! - I selected it and all my Podcasts are visible)

It is entirely possible that only steps 5 & 6 are required. If someone finds success doing that, please let everyone know.