Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshmallow Borkage

Marshmallow Borkage

TL;DR: Upgraded to Marshmallow and BeyondPod can't find the files previously moved to external SD storage.

Longer version: Many moons ago I ran out of space on my internal storage so I moved my BeyondPod storage to my external SD card. (Although it looks like BP did not move my Virtual Feed folders when it moved everything else so those are still on my internal card). I just updated my LG v10 from Lollipop to Marshmallow and now when I start BeyondPod it tells me that the "Configured episode download location is no longer available" and "Would you like to switch to using internal storage" (or words to that effect).

If I hit cancel then BeyondPod closes... I don't know if my files will be "forever lost" if I hit Switch or if BP will start re-downloading everything to the new location which would fill the internal card and is pointless since I have the files (on the SD card itself and a complete backup on my PC)

Any advice on how to make this "healthy" again? For example, should I switch to the internal storage and then "move" to the new location of the external storage and have it find all my files? Is there I config file I can safely edit manually to point to the new location...

Also does it help/matter if I adopt the external card and use it in Internal Mode (with the caveat I know it will format the card so I need my files backed up first). I assume I would adopt the card, then put the files from my backup back onto the (now) internal storage and then have the same issue of needing to know how to tell BeyondPod that the files are "here".

Thanks in advance!

Matt

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    The same thing happened to me this week, moving my SD card from a Z3 Compact running Lollipop to a Z5 running Marshmallow.

It appears that SD cards on Marshmallow (or at least Sony's implementation of it) now get a path that includes some sort of unique identifier. My BeyondPod path is now /storage/5F34-C3A9/Android/data/mobi.beyondpod

The good news is that you don't have to adopt the SD card.

The bad news is that I wasn't methodical enough about the things I tried until I got it working, but I THINK that just going to General Settings | Podcast Download folder and choosing Move is enough to update the correct path in BP. (Don't worry, you have to confirm before you actually start the move, so if the destination isn't a path in that form, you can back out.)

I would be interested to know what device you have, and whether the format of your SD path is the same, and, of course, whether my suggestion works!

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Oops! I just re-read your post and see that it's an LG V10.

The prompt to move your files works the same as manually moving them from the settings, and hopefully it'll give you the option of "moving" your files to the SD card using its new path.

As you have a backup, you have nothing to lose (but you might want to explicitly do a BeyondPod Backup first to preserve all your other settings in case of catastrophe).

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    As you have a backup, you have nothing to lose (but you might want to explicitly do a BeyondPod Backup first to preserve all your other settings in case of catastrophe).
    The problem is that I can't get into BeyondPod unless I chose the switch option... In retrospect I should have done a backup before I did the upgrade... <sigh>

BeyondPod Team
    If you choose switch, does it give you the option to switch to the new path?

I've been moving and hadn't been "brave" enough to try...

Picking switch looks like it actually found the new path to the SD card all by itself. Even though it includes some wacky ID... like 0EF4-9B3A in the middle.

Wink

I've been moving and hadn't been "brave" enough to try...

Picking switch looks like it actually found the new path to the SD card all by itself. Even though it includes some wacky ID... like 0EF4-9B3A in the middle.

BeyondPod Team
    Good - glad it worked for you too. The whacky ID seems to be an identifier for the SD card (I assume this has been changed because of the ability to adopt SD cards in Marshmallow).

The ID is part of Marshmallow.

I think even if you backup you will be screwed because I reformatted once and the ID changed, so now the backup cannot restore.

Best option is to move Beyondpod back to internal SD first, do backup, change or format SD card, then restore backup, then move to external SD.

BeyondPod Team
    You CAN restore, but for the time-being, you have to tap the Backup and Store location, and then the second line to manually change it to it "files" on your real SD card path (as opposed to the one that BP thought it would have been on Lollipop). Just tapping the "files" folder is usually enough for BP to find and remember the new path.

Julie