Thread: Display SmartPlay Rule Number that selected an episode.

Lightbulb Display SmartPlay Rule Number that selected an episode.

I've been having trouble understanding why my SmartPlay playlist isn't working as I would expect. (Turning off Auto Rebuild SmartPlay has helped a lot! But the list is still much shorter than it should be.) As a result, I feel out of control of my playlist.

The rules in the SmartPlay playlist are numbered.

One feature that would help me understand what I am doing wrong is listing the rule number in the SmartPlay playlist that was used to select an episode against all the episodes in the SmartPlay playlist.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    For most people that would just be clutter.

What's the issue you're having with your Smart Play list? Could you post your rules here?

Something along the lines of

Start with
    Oldest 20 episodes of Category A
    Then play
    Oldest 2 episodes of Category B
    Then play
    Newest 1 episodes of Feed X

etc.
    ... and let us know what's not working as expected.

Julie

Unhappy SmartPlay rules not including downloaded episodes

Thanks, Julie.

I have 4 SmartFeeds. (They are all variants of the same idea, while I try to work out what is happening.)

The default SmartFeed has 17 rules.
    The first 11 are of the form: Play the Oldest 1 episode of individual feed.
    The last 6 are of the form: Play the Oldest 1 episode of category.

About half of the feeds and categories have at least 1 downloaded episode; some don't. By my count, I am expecting my SmartFeed to list 9 episodes when it updates. It only lists 4, and skips the highest priority ones.

Podcast 1: 2 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.
    Podcast 2: 3 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.
    Podcast 3: 4 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.
    Podcast 4: 0 new items
    Podcast 5: 0 new items
    Podcast 6: 20 New items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed
    Podcast 7: 0 new items
    Podcast 8: 0 new items
    Podcast 9: 0 new items
    Podcast 10: 0 new items
    Podcast 11: 647 new items, 1 downloaded. 1 LISTED
    Category A: 5 podcasts, 0 new
    Category B: 3 Podcasts, 20 New, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed
    Category C: 3 Podcasts, 268 New, 1 downloaded, 1 LISTED
    Category D: 10 podcasts, 5 new, 1 LISTED
    Category E (All feeds): 33 podcasts, at least 9 downloaded and not covered above, 1 LISTED

I was expecting the items marked as "not listed in the feed" to appear in my SmartFeed.

I'm still working on it (even making this list has helped clarify the problem), but I have not been able to figure out why they don't appear. To make this list, I paused the last episode of the feed, forced an update of all feeds, and then waited for the last episode to finish.

Hmmm.. do you have 'Auto rebuild playlist' checked in Settings/Playlist? Or 'Keep current Episode' just below?

You can force a rebuild of the playlist by tapping its name instead of tapping the three-dots next to the name: from the Player screen, swipe right-to-left to open the playlist, then tap the playlist name at the top, or tap the down-arrow to bring up the list of SmartPlay programs, and tap a playlist name.

Also, an episode that has already been played will not automatically be added to a playlist.

Dennis,

No, I no longer have "Auto rebuild playlist" checked. I used to, but I realised that it meant I was mainly hearing episodes from the same two rules, because by the time they finished playing the new episodes had been downloaded.

I have 'Keep Current Episode' on (and grayed out, because of the previous setting.)

I have made some progress!

I found when I looked at Podcast 1, that it had one downloaded episode, MARKED AS PLAYED.
    The feed was set to only download one episode, so the existing episode was preventing new ones from being downloaded.
    The episode was already played, so it was skipped in the SmartFeed Playlist.

Once I deleted the offending episode, and let it download a later one, it started correctly appearing in the SmartFeed.

That just moves the mystery along. Why wasn't it deleted after being played? The podcast has "Allow Episode Deletions".
    The Playlist Settings has After Playing: Delete and play next.

I speculate that maybe this has happened several times:
    BeyondPod has finished playing an episode, marked it as read, gone to delete it and crashed/powered down. That has then left an episode that will never get cleaned up, blocking one of the podcasts from ever appearing in the SmartFeed.

(I emphasize this is speculation - I don't know how the code works in this case.)

Do you use the loopy arrow on the widget to skip to the next episode? Check Settings/Player/Headset Button Actions/Long Press. This should be set to "Skip to end", not the (?)default "Next Episode". Skip to End activates the so-named action, Next Episode does NOT, leaving the episode played but not deleted. The "loopy arrow produces headset long press Intent" is not made clear anywhere that I've found.

I only found it by Julie's advice on this forum...

Thanks for your interest here, Dennis.

For Settings/Player/Headset Button Actions/Long Press, I have "Skip Forward". That's the button on my headset, not the loopy button (a.k.a. Skip-To-End button). I don't think I use the long press on that headset button very often.

These days, I routinely use the Skip-To-End button when I am bored of an episode, and want it to be deleted. I use the Next episode button ( >>| ) occasionally, when I still want to hear the end of an episode, but now is not a good time. That said, I can't guarantee I haven't done this incorrectly at some time in the paste. (One of the troublesome "played but not deleted" episodes had been frozen since November 2015! Who knows what I clicked then?)

The Next episode button should not mark it as completely played, and the half-played episode should still be selectable by SmartPlay, so I don't think this explains the symptoms.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddthinking View Post
    I no longer have "Auto rebuild playlist" checked. I used to, but I realised that it meant I was mainly hearing episodes from the same two rules, because by the time they finished playing the new episodes had been downloaded.
    How often do you update your feeds? If it's more than once per day, I'd suggest restricting to once per day for the moment. Many things will affect what you get in your smartplay list, and keeping things as simple as possible will help to resolve why your SmartPlay list isn't doing what you expect.

Could you please explain what you mean by:
    Podcast 1: 2 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.
    Podcast 2: 3 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.
    Podcast 3: 4 new items, 1 downloaded, not listed in feed.

How can you tell what's downloaded if it's not listed in the feed? Or do you mean it's not showing up in your SmartPlay list?

As to Episodes being marked as read and blocking the download of the next one, I assume that means that you have the feed set to Download in Order. Delete after Playing only works if you continue playing after the end of that episode (or use Skip to End). If you use Sleep at End of episode, the next one will not be played, and delete after playing doesn't get triggered. However, you can get around this by ticking Automatically Delete Played Episodes in the Feed Update Settings section of the Advanced Settings. That will result in the episode being deleted next time you update the feed.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    How often do you update your feeds? If it's more than once per day, I'd suggest restricting to once per day for the moment.
    I checked. It was every 3 hours (which makes sense when only 4 episodes appear per update), but I have taken your advice and set it to once per day.

Could you please explain what you mean by: [...] Or do you mean it's not showing up in your SmartPlay list?
    Sorry for being unclear. You guessed correctly that it is showing up in the individual podcast feed, but was not showing up in my SmartPlay list.

If you use Sleep at End of episode, the next one will not be played, and delete after playing doesn't get triggered. However, you can get around this by ticking Automatically Delete Played Episodes in the Feed Update Settings section of the Advanced Settings.
    I haven't used the Sleep at End feature.

There are even more settings? Hahaha! BeyondPod has more settings than all of my other Android apps put together!

I found the Advanced Settings, and turned on Automatically Delete Played Episodes. I am expecting that to clean up the blockages if they occur in the future.

While I was there, I found another setting "Allow Cleanup for Manual Download..". I turned it on too.

I suspect this is the root cause:

* While looking at a feed, I decided to force a manual download.
    * I later listened to the manually downloaded episode, and it was marked as played, but cleanup was not run because it was manually downloaded.
    * The feed tried to update, but Automatically Delete Played Episodes was not turned on so the old episode was left, played in the queue.
    * The feed update did not add any new episodes, because it was set to only download one at a time, and there was one there already.
    * The SmartPlay list skipped the feed because it didn't contain any unplayed episodes.

If this new speculation is correct, I shouldn't have any problems in the future, even if I do manually download an episode.

Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help.