Thread: Buffer does not sync in Android Auto

Buffer does not sync in Android Auto

This problem happens frequently and is quite vexing. I listen to a podcast with Android Auto while drive, reach my destination, hit pause, turn off the car, unplug the phone, and go on my way. When I play the podcast later, the playback does not resume at the correct place. It doesn't start over, it just doesn't keep up correctly.

I see similar behavior when I use the seek buttons. When I press the seek ahead 30s button, it seeks ahead but not from the current playback position. Then I have to seek ahead a bunch of times to get it close.

Is there any way I can help debug this issue? I am using version 4.1.48, but just today I signed up for beta and am about to get updated.

I'm having the same/similar issue. However, I'm not using Android Auto, just a Bluetooth connection.

What is see is that the playback counter does not move, it just stays in the same position. It only moves if I seek forward/back. If, for some reason, the audio plays through phone speaker instead of Bluetooth (when BT connects & autoplays), the playback counter does move. So, if a podcast starts and plays for say 30 mins, when I reconnect to BT, autoplay starts at the last point it had, e.g. 0/zero. I have to manually seek to find the place it had actually played to.

Very frustrating!

I note that this is only a recently problem, noticed for the past 2-3 weeks. Up until then it had worked as it should.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Does it happen only with some podcasts, or all?
    Are you streaming or playing downloaded episodes?
    What device do you have?
    What version of Android are you running?

When BeyondPod pauses, it saves the playback position. Or at least, the playback position reported to it by your device's built-in player. If your player doesn't report it accurately, BP will ask for resumption at the point it was told about. If BeyondPod is kicked out of memory before it's had a chance to save the playback position, the last one it knew about will have been saved.

When it resumes, all BeyondPod can do is ASK your built-in player to resume at a certain point. How well the device does that depends on a number of factors, including the device (or rather, the music player implementation on that device), the encoding of the podcast itself, whether you're streaming or playing a downloaded episode, whether you have speed adjustment enabled (even if playing at x1 speed), etc.

The lack of update of the progress bar may dependent on the podcast's encoding, the implementation of the built-in player on your device, whether you're streaming or playing downloaded episodes, and whether or not you have speed adjustment enabled (regardless of whether you're actually changing the speed).

Have a look at the suggestions in the Help system at Troubleshooting Player Issues and see if anything there helps.

There's also a more detailed response in this thread

Julie

Hi Julie

Thanks for your reply.

I've already tried all of the suggestions on the 'Troubleshooting Player Issues' page as well as the forum thread - internal/external player, auto-pause/resume, playback speed dis/enabled, etc. I have tried it with various external players, including MX Player as suggest. Nothing has worked so far.

The problem occurs with all podcasts. They are all downloaded (usually), but the problem occurs with streamed ones too. I am running a Samsung Galaxy S4 i9506, Android version 6.0.1, BeyondPod v4.2.10.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Has your Galaxy S4 recently updated to Android 6? If so, it may be that Samsung have made changes to the player that is causing these issues.

The only other thing I can think of is to check what other software installations or updates have happened since the behaviour was as expected.

And, of course, it's always worth trying a reboot, if you haven't already.

Julie