Thread: Android Auto can only play downloaded episodes

Android Auto can only play downloaded episodes

Is there a way to get the Feeds list on Android Auto to display all available subscriptions and episodes, or is playback limited to downloaded episodes only? I'm pretty new to Android Auto, so I'm not sure if this is a limitation that is to be expected across the board. Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Android Auto severely limits developers to things that should be safe to do whilst driving with minimal interaction (there are limits on the number of taps you're allowed to make something happen, for intance, and scrolling counts as a click), so viewing feeds and picking and choosing episodes would not meet those criteria.

You don't have to have downloaded episodes to play them on Android Auto, but they do have to be in "My Episodes" - i.e. either downloaded or marked for streaming and available to stream (by setting the feed to Stream Latest or Stream in Order, rather than manually downloading).

Julie

Does Android Auto stream the episodes from the source, like ChromeCast, or does BP send them from the device?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Android Auto behaves like a remote control for your phone/tablet, so it's accessing the podcasts on your phone (unless your phone is streaming them, of course).

Julie

Thanks for the info!