Thread: It's beta, we get it. But you really need to issue a hot-fix for 4.2.19 ASAP

It's beta, we get it. But you really need to issue a hot-fix for 4.2.19 ASAP

IMHO 4.2.19 is broken beyond what would be considered "beta" software. To make everyone here happy, I'd suggest the best course of action would be to issue a hotfix 4.2.20 that essentially rolls back to 4.2.18 along with the minimum code necessary to make it able to read in settings from the 4.2.19 version.

It's not fun and isn't ideal, but anyone who has been developing and releasing non-trivial software for more that a couple years has had a release that was such a disaster that you just had to apologize to whoever was subjected to it (whether internal QA, beta users, or your customers), roll back to the previous good version and take another crack at it. This is one of those situations. I know you "just have to fix this one bug, I'm nearly done and I really mean it this time" because I've been there before. You need an objective third party (usually your scrum master or product owner) to say "enough, we need to get people up and running again."

+1

Take it from an long-time QA guy. You really don't want to make your beta testers go somewhere else...

KimW, we need a quoted statement from the developers, whomever they are. Not you telling us they're working on it - we need to hear their words, quoted, verbatim, as to what they are doing. I know you're doing the best you can, but *they* need to do better.

Or do we need to start downreviewing it on Google Play, as being abandoned and people who want updates should go to other programs? Because that's exactly the situation we're in.

I tried to downgrade and couldn't read my backups. I found the solution to get it to import. I believe it revolves around capitalization in the backup. I'll do some testing and update.

Update:

A quick fix for anyone who wants to downgrade back to stable, but can't import their backup.

Backup all the episodes that can't be redownloaded.

Then find your latest backup from 4.2.19.
    Unzip the backup
    Edit "BackupManifest.txt"
    ---
    Change "[timeStamp]" to "[TimeStamp]"
    Change "[totalSize]" to "[TotalSize]"

Re-compress the backup and name it ".bpbak"

It should now import.

This is what worked for me.

-Kris
    Last edited by KL2001; 12-20-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Pretty sad the community has to make their own fixes, seems like something the developers could have figured out faster if they actually cared about the paying users

Thanks for posting! Too late for me, but hope it helps someone else

I waited a month, hoping for a new beta, but finally decided that I wanted my podcasts back, hence the workaround. I'll be sticking to stable for now... Maybe it will work like beta?
    Last edited by KL2001; 12-22-2017 at 05:08 AM.

What amazes me is that they have left the 4.2.1.9 version on the Play Store.

So people who do downgrade back to 4.2.1.8 keep getting updated to this crap version if auto update is on, or an update notification if auto update is off.

That and they have basically just ignored everyone and haven't admitted there's a problem - at least not that I've seen.

BeyondPod Team
    The developers have fixes for the bugs reported due to this latest release. In house testing is starting for these fixes and once all of the fixes have been verified and accepted, the developers will be pushing out a new beta version to the public. They wanted to make sure to have fixes for most of the bugs before releasing a new version.

I apologize for the issues the users are having due to the latest release and thank you for your patience.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    In house testing is starting for these fixes and once all of the fixes have been verified and accepted, the developers will be pushing out a new beta version to the public.
    LOL

Godot didn't take this long to show up.