Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enable / enforce bluetooth autoplay

Enable / enforce bluetooth autoplay

Hi,

Using BP beta on a stock Nexus 6P. Other media apps ( VLC, Play Music etc ) will autoplay on bluetooth connect in the car ( 16 Audi ). However BP refuses to and I would much rather that it did. At present I have to manually unlock the phone screen and toggle using the widget ( resized to 1 X 1 ) thus pause / play toggle. Any suggestions much appreciated. When I switch off the car ( bluetooth disconnect ) BP stops as it should.

Cheers,

Francesco
    Last edited by scaglifr; 10-17-2016 at 12:06 PM.

In my experience, BP will happily autoplay if it's still in memory. If I switch between my BT earbuds and the car stereo quickly enough (or if I don't do much to the phone), it'll pick right up where it left off. The earbuds don't do autoplay, but the car does.

Either my car or my phone gets stupid about BT (can't connect the phone) if my earbuds are even powered up when I start the car, so it has trained me to shut down the earbuds before I open the door, but the car stereo starts right up.

I try to leave BP as the foreground app (what you get when you unlock) in hopes that it will receive the BT media Intents, but that's harder to remember to do, and doesn't even work all that reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    In my experience, BP will happily autoplay if it's still in memory.
    I try to leave BP as the foreground app (what you get when you unlock) in hopes that it will receive
    the BT media Intents, but that's harder to remember to do, and doesn't even work all that reliably.
    True, if I stop at a fuel station the BP will often auto-play. It is never the foreground app as so far I have toggled play / pause using the widget. What I would like is for it to autoplay after a few hours of pause.

Unfortunately, BP is at the mercy of Android, since the "Play" Intent arrives and gets routed to apps as Android wishes. If BP has been tossed out of the foreground, it won't even receive the Intent and will never notice that BT wants audio.

My SMS reader always starts automatically when the phone connects to Bluetooth even if it hasn't been used in many hours. How is it able to do what BP cannot or am I being preturnaturally dim?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Bluetooth on Android can be endlessly challenging.

Working on the "don't reinvent the wheel" principle of using tools that already exist to do a particular job, there are apps in the Playstore that will look for connections and allow you to set rules for what should happen. One that I've used in the past is Headphone connect: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adphoneconnect

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by scaglifr View Post
    My SMS reader always starts automatically when the phone connects to Bluetooth even if it hasn't been used in many hours. How is it able to do what BP cannot or am I being preturnaturally dim?
    Hitting the Play button (whether manually or vitually) on a Bluetooth device could potentially start a myriad of different applications to play something. Your SMS reader does an entirely different job of intercepting notifications and reading them aloud when it detects that your Bluetooth device is connected.

Julie

On my Nexus 6 BP autoplays without issue if it was the last media player I used. Doesn't matter if BeyondPod has been kicked out of memory or not from what I can tell.

I've had issues in the past though where other apps would seemingly randomly place them self at the top of the stack of apps that receive media key presses and then they ignore it so nothing happens when the phone connects to Bluetooth. What I did was use the adb debug tools to inspect the device state to see what app was at the top of the queue instead of BeyondPod so I could uninstall or disable missbehaving apps.

Funnily enough Spotify has the opposite problem, it randomly removes itself from the stack when it shouldn't so instead of the Spotify resuming if it was the last app used it is the one before that, usually BeyondPod.

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Bluetooth on Android can be endlessly challenging.

Working on the "don't reinvent the wheel" principle of using tools that already exist to do a particular job, there are apps in the Playstore that will look for connections and allow you to set rules for what should happen. One that I've used in the past is Headphone connect: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adphoneconnect

Julie
    Downloaded and installed - nothing happened I have been in email contact with the Dev ( very quick to reply ) and am looking in to it. This may well of course be primarily an issue with the car but I do need to explore all avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by appel View Post
    On my Nexus 6 BP autoplays without issue if it was the last media player I used. Doesn't matter if BeyondPod has been kicked out of memory or not from what I can tell.

I've had issues in the past though where other apps would seemingly randomly place them self at the top of the stack of apps that receive media key presses and then they ignore it so nothing happens when the phone connects to Bluetooth. What I did was use the adb debug tools to inspect the device state to see what app was at the top of the queue instead of BeyondPod so I could uninstall or disable missbehaving apps.

Funnily enough Spotify has the opposite problem, it randomly removes itself from the stack when it shouldn't so instead of the Spotify resuming if it was the last app used it is the one before that, usually BeyondPod.
    Were you launching BP play from the app itself or from a home screen widget ? Were you leaving it open between trips or was the phone used for other things in between ? Just some of the variables that it seems might make a difference ?

Thanks for the ongoing help and suggestions.