Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with perhaps the simplest most common scenario

Please help me with perhaps the simplest most common scenario

Could someone please tell me EXACTLY which settings I need to set to do the following?

1) Start listening to a podcast at episode whatever. Let's say 192.
    2) Download and listen to the episodes in order from that point on. 192, 193, 194...
    3) When new episodes come available they get downloaded.

This seems to be the most simplest of things, yet I can't figure out what settings I need. I would love to see a step by step guide for this. Perhaps pictures would help. Or a video.

No matter what settings I try, nothing new gets downloaded. I've tried "Update Feed", but that, at best, just shows me what new episodes are available. New ones don't get downloaded. And sometimes "update feed" doesn't even show new episodes. I need to press a "button" that says, "Don't see the episode you're looking for? Press here to see all the episodes." Then I have to manually download the episodes.

Please help me.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whichever option you choose (download in order, or download latest), BeyondPod will pick up from whatever point you're at at the moment. In most cases, you'll choose Download Newest, unless the podcast is something (like a book or a course) that you MUST listen to from the beginning.

If you have the free version, you can only download one episode at a time, manually (although you can manually download as many episodes as you like, one at a time). See What is the difference between Lite and Full Feature (Pro) versions?

The Help pages include a Getting Started Guide and Updating Feeds and Downloading Episodes and a troubleshooting guide My feeds update correctly, but no new episodes are being automatically downloaded any or all of which may help you.

You can also change the default view of your feeds to be either All Published Episodes or My Episodes (i.e. the ones you've downloaded) in your settings at General Settings | Preferred Feed View

HTH
    Julie

BeyondPod Team
    P.S. My guess is that you've got the feed(s) set to Download in Order instead of Download Newest, but haven't deleted the older episodes - whether you've played them or not - to make way for newer ones.

As Julie says, set the feed to download in-order, and download as many as you want to listen to between updates.

The next thing depends on whether (e.g.) episode 192 is closer to the beginning or the end of the feed.

If it's closer to the end: pull up the feed, so you have the list of episodes, tap the Menu button (either hardware or the three-dots) and tap "Mark all played". Then scroll to episode 192 and long-press it until you get the check-mark on the episode and the "CLEAR PLAYED" at the top. Now, (short) tap all of the later episodes; they get check-marks. When they're all selected, tap the "CLEAR PLAYED".

If it's closer to the beginning, we can do the opposite: long-press episode 191 (the header will say "MARK PLAYED"), and then tap all of the episodes you don't want to hear, then tap the "MARK PLAYED".

After that, tap episode 192 and BP will start playing it.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    As Julie says, set the feed to download in-order
    Actually, Julie said set the feed to Download Newest (unless it's a podcast that's a book or course that you MUST start from the beginning, or from a particular point, and you don't want to download any newer episodes until you've heard the previous ones). Setting it to Download in Order, and then not playing and deleting the older episodes may well be what's preventing new episodes from downloading.

If the feed is currently on episode 199, and you want from 192 onwards, I'd suggest starting by saying Download the latest 8 (i.e. 192 to 199), and leave it at that.

Julie

Sorry, Julie, I was mistaken. I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth!

BeyondPod Team
    You're forgiven, Dennis

A few years ago I asked about a "Mark previous as read" feature where it mark all older posts up to the selected episode as read, for the very same situation. I was given the same workaround but that was really less than ideal. In the last example, setting the parameter to latest 8 would work but it would download all these episodes too early and takes up memory (imagine if the latest is at #299 instead - 108 episodes would be downloaded). I ended up manually going through the episode list and mark them read, or mark all unread first and then mark some as unread, depends on which side has more episodes. I think a easier option would be beneficial.

Thank you Dennis and Julie! It's much clearer to me now.
    And by using Dennis's step-by-step guide, I was able to accomplish exactly what I wanted to.

BeyondPod Team
    You're welcome.