Thread: NPR podcasts stopped downloading

NPR podcasts stopped downloading

Hello,
    My NPR podcasts stopped downloading a week or so ago.
    Is there any fix to this?
    It has worked fine for at least a year.

Sally

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Yes. Beta version 4.2.16 (which is currently on a staged rollout to the Play Store as a release) handles the errors from the NPR server better, since they changed things at their end.

See also http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...ream-was-reset

Julie

I had the same problem. I contacted NPR. They said they have eliminated some of their less frequently used podcast feeds and also changed the address of the RSS feed on others. You need to try to resubscribe using the current address in BeyondPod and if that doesn't work, try the address on the NPR website. If you can't find a current address, it's probably one they eliminated.
    Unfortunately, one of the feeds they eliminated was one I used and there is no current address for it. Before this, they had two feeds for Fresh Air. One had the whole show in each episode. The other had each segment of the show in individual episodes, so I could pick which I wanted. That's the one they got rid of.

I had to dump several feeds when they eliminated the per-story feed, too. I don't know what they're thinking.

I listen while driving, and can't skip forward through stories I'm not interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    I had to dump several feeds when they eliminated the per-story feed, too. I don't know what they're thinking.

I listen while driving, and can't skip forward through stories I'm not interested in.
    I also listen on my smartphone, while driving and walk my dogs. I don't know what they are thinking either but they seem to have the idea that people listen on desktops. Notice how they keep saying to subscribe in iTunes. iTunes for Windows is POS and to the best of my knowledge there is no smartphone version - even for the iPhone. They've also mentioned Stitcher, which suggests they think everybody has unlimited data to stream podcasts. What I really appreciate with public radio podcasts is with VSC people sound like they are talking at normal speed.

NPR also seems to think that they can do whatever they want and NPR groupies and Kool-Aid drinkers will say it's wonderful - and those are the only people they seem to listen to.

PS: NPR is controlled by local stations, which elect its board of directors, the majority of whom are station representatives (A-Reps). Stations have told NPR to stop promoting podcasts on radio broadcasts and have blocked podcasts of Morning Edition and All Things Considered. What somebody is thinking is they'd rather you listened to the radio.
    Last edited by emacee1701; 12-06-2016 at 03:36 AM.